Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My beagle has had diarreah last night and she is very

Customer Question

Hi. My beagle has had diarreah last night and she is very lethargic, not eating or drinking. She hasn't moved put of her bed in nearly 24hrs
JA: Hi there. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the Beagle seem to be in any pain?
Customer: She doesn't seem to be in pain, more like she is tired
JA: What's the Beagle's name and age?
Customer: Marma and she is 4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No she is usually a healthy dog
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 23 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear this.
Has she had any medical issues in the past or is she on any medicine?
Any chance she has eaten something she shouldn't?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No she isn't.she had pea size amount of squirty cheese yesterday and some gravy bones. She has no past medical issues either
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically.
Are her gums pink and red?
Any abdominal bloating or panting?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
her gums are pink they look the same as normal. No bloating, I've managed to get her to drink some water just now.
Thats good and hopefully she will hold it down.
When you touch the gums are they wet like ours?
Would she be tempted with some cooked chicken or fish?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
They are wet, I'm not sure I will get some and try it though if you think I should
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Could I use tuna
White fish is best but if you only have tuna it is worth trying. Make sure there is no salt or oil though as it must be bland.
If she eats that and holds it down without vomiting that is a good sign. You could also add some rice to help bind the poo.Do you know if she has been wormed in the last 3 months?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
She had a worm treatment maybe 4 months ago
Ok, sure. We typically suggest every 3 months and if she is a dog who likes to eat grass/ muck or raw food I would get her some good quality wormer such as Panacur, just in case.Given the diarrhoea, I would also give her a probiotic diarrhoea paste such as Protexin prokolin which can be purchased online or from a pet shop.If she holds her food down and doesn't have vomiting and is okay on a short walk, this would be a good sign.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you so much I'm going to do this today, I've just given her some chicken and shes perked up as if nothing was wrong so I think it may have been something she ate yesterday. I will definitely get the wormwr and probiotic just to be safe thank you
Brilliant. A 24 hour stomach bug is not uncommon and the main thing is that she improves quickly.
Some dogs are sensitive to dairy so it is possible it was the cheese if this isn't something she normally gets.
Wishing her a speedy recovery. Please do let me know if you have any further questions and feel free to keep me updated.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I will come back to you if things change again :)
Sounds like a plan! Take care.