Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

I re homed a cat (Toffee) 8 years ago to keep my first cat

Customer Question

I re homed a cat (Toffee) 8 years ago to keep my first cat company. They have never really got on. Because Toffee was so nervous it took a lot of time and patience to get her to trust me and in so doing have formed a bond with her. I love them both. The problem is Toffee. She is obsessed with me. She is jealous of any living thing that comes into contact with me. She urinates on the chair where I sit to watch my fish, on the couch after my little granddaughter has snoozed on it and repeatedly urinates where she has done before despite my treating the area with anti-urine products or even discarded blankets etc. I'm at my at the end of my tether. They are both 10 this month -Toffee is 9 months younger- What Can I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the cat do this all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: Sometimes
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with this behavior?
Customer: Like what?
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: I just told you, Toffee
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Don't think so
Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

Is Toffee up-to-date with vaccines, flea and wormers?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

Thank you. And are both cats spayed?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This isn't working. I don't want to ring you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They are both spayed
Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

Sorry, please ignore that message. The systems sends it automatically. I am happy if we continue our chat here.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

I understand. And when did this problem start? Is it more of a recent issue (past month) or has she done this since you rehomed her?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
For the past couple of years
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Maybe when my baby granddaughter cam on the scene. I think she is jealous
Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

I see. Thank you for this information. I think the situation is quite a difficult one as cats seem to "mark" their territory and if this is already an embedded behaviour, it will require a lot of hard work and dedication do "get this right". Stress and new events (like a new baby in the household, as you've said) can make cats exhibit this kind of behaviour, unfortunately.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

My best recommendation would be gradual desensitising through positive reinforcement (may take up to 6 months, one year maybe).

Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

The best person to guide you through the process would be an accredited behaviourist (your local vet should be able to help you with a few contacts).

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My Granddaughter comes only now and then. I live on my own. I know it's difficult. I need a solution
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry I thought I was speaking to one. My bad. Please cancel my payment but thank you anyway
Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

At this stage, I am not concerned a potential urinary tract infection (as it's been going on for years). But my normal approach would be as follows:

- hands-on consult, full urine analysis (dipstick, microscopic examination, specific gravity)

- trial of NSAIDs, calming medication, etc.

- behaviourist referral.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

You are speaking with a UK based vet, fully accredited by RCVS.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK as I said I contacted you in error. I know I need a specialist
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would you be kind enough to cancel the £5 payment?
Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

If you with the cancel the payment, please contact Just Answer Customer Support, as only the admin team has access to your account.

You can find more information here: https://www.justanswer.com/help/

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you x
Expert:  Teodora B replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.