Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My bunny producing lot of Cecotropes, usually in the morning

Customer Question

Hi, my bunny producing lot of Cecotropes, usually in the morning in the last 3-4 days. I recently changed the dry food for adult as she is 4 months old now. Can this be the reason? I noticed she is not eating a lot of hay. Shall I reduce greens to get her eat more hay than anything else? Your advice very much appreciated.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the bunny also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No she is very lively Thank you for your response
JA: Does the bunny seem to be in any pain?
Customer: I don't think so, she is affectionate, follows me and lying down next to me
JA: What's the bunny's name?
Customer: Seems more alive in the evenings Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Cookie?
Customer: No, only she is 4 months and 2 weeks old
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 21 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my reply.
Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically.
It is normal for a rabbit to produce lots of cecotropes. It isn't normal for you to be seeing any cecotropes. These should be eaten before seen. The fact that you are seeing them tells us there is an issue.
As you suggest, I agree the diet change is the likely cause and she is probably being over fed.
Bunnies do not need a lot of dry food at all. They should be eating about 85-90% hay and grass, a small amount of fresh fruit and veggies and about an egg cup of pellets.
Any diet change needs to be made gradually to avoid issue.Other causes of us seeing cecotropes can include obesity and arthritis or other sources of pain, but this is unlike given her age and what you have said.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your response! Really helpful!
Very happy to help and hopefully the issue resolves soon:)