Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

We have been offered K Laser treatment for our collie cross

Customer Question

We have been offered K Laser treatment for our collie cross aged 14 years, for arthritis in the hips (mainly). However, he also has a small (2 centimeters) lump/tumour in his spleen. My wife read on a north american site that you have to be very careful with K Laser and tumours. Can you guide us.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the Collie had this tumor?
Customer: 18 mths ago
JA: What's the Collie's name?
Customer: Glen
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Don't think so!
Expert:  Teodora B replied 23 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 23 days ago.

It is true that K-laser and skin tumors don't go hand in hand. But as far as I'm aware, with a small splenic nodule, there would be no contraindication against hip K-lasering. I'd certainly go ahead with this and monitor (Ultrasound) the spleen every 6 months (if no clinical signs like inappetence, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc).

Expert:  Teodora B replied 23 days ago.

Is there anything else I could assist you with?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi Teodora. Just to bring you up to speed, my apologies. We had 6mthly ultrasound scans followin accidental discovery 18 mths ago. First and second scans showed no change in size. We had K Laser treatment applied before lockdown in March and in the summer this year (6/7 treatments). Third scan in September 2020 showed it had increased in size to 7.2cms x 8.1 cms. We were told it was a ticking time bomb. However, glen showed no discomfort for the next 3 weeks but then did. We went back for another scan where it had increased again to 8.2 x 11.1. Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to Glen the next day, devastating. My wife blames me (understandably) , which is why I am investigating.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I supplied my card details within the last half hour which were accepted!
Expert:  Teodora B replied 23 days ago.

I understand. I am sorry about this. I think Splenic tumors can be very aggressive from my experience, they spread fast and are never good news. Have your vets done any Ultrasound-Guided FNAs/Biopsies to determine the nature of that nodule?

The most common splenic tumor is hemangiosarcoma (which, by definition, by the time you see it on ultrasound, it would have spread to the chest + additional mesenteric lymph-nodes in 85% of the cases). I often choose myself not to operate on these dogs because the survival time is between 3 and 12 months (if followed by chemotherapy), and I end up advising owners to base their decision on the quality of life ("is the dog happy and comfortable?") rather then the quantity ("we need this dog to live 3 more years").

Expert:  Teodora B replied 23 days ago.

I am sorry about this, if you are experiencing payment issues (I have a message here saying "payment failure"), please contact customer support. As a vet, I don't get access to your account.

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/payment-my-premium-service-offer-failed-what-should-i-do

Expert:  Teodora B replied 23 days ago.

I think it's quite unfair to blame anyone in this situation, it's just nature taking its toll. We do have limits in medicine (human or veterinary), unfortunately, and there's only as much as we can do. Please be assured that hip K-lasering had nothing to do with that splenic tumor growing/spreading/causing trouble. I am sure you've done everything you could for Glen and to be honest, 14 Years of Age, is a beautiful milestone for a Collie Cross. I think he was a very lucky dog to have owners like you, who have prioritized his quality of life and always decided what was best for him!

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
THANK YOU
Expert:  Teodora B replied 23 days ago.

You are more than welcome. I hope I was able to give you that final piece of mind.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.