Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

My fish is on its side at the bottom of the tank, Since this

Customer Question

My fish is on its side at the bottom of the tank
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the fish's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Since this morning
JA: When was the fish last seen by a vet?
Customer: 5 years ago when we got her
JA: What's the fish's name?
Customer: Dorothy
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I cleaned her out yesterday and since then she was at the bottom of the tank and then this morning just on her side and it looks like she can’t swim, she’s a cold water gold fish
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

Is there a chance you could send me a short video?

Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

Has she flipped from one side to the other? Or is it just one side that she's preferring?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Just one side
Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

I see. And is Dorothy able to swim to the surface at all?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Picture
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It won’t let me send a video
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Pictures
Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

Received, thank you. I am afraid it looks quite bad, to be honest. Is she trying to gulp for air? I think something must have pushed her over the edge and she is on her last road.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

Have you done anything differently when you've cleaned her out yesterday? Is there any chance she might have been exposed to anything toxic?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What do I do now then? She is gulping for air,
Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

I think the best way forward is saying goodbye, unfortunately. The most humane way would be to take little Dorothy to a vet and they'd give an injection.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

RSPCA suggests if that's not an option, for an aquarium tank to use a physical methods such as stunning and decapitation (followed by rapid destruction of the brain by pithing). They suggest this is humane when carried out quickly and correctly. If you are not comfortable with this, I definitely recommend trying to contact an OOH service provider for Dorothy to have an overdose of an anesthetic via injection. Anything else (like freezing or flushing down the toilet) I personally consider inhumaine.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Oh, how would I even do that to her by stunning her?
Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

You would need special stunning equipment for that. If you are not familiar with this technique, I'd suggest a trip to the nearest OOH Veterinary Hospital would be the best way forward.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay thank you I’ll google and find the closes one to me
Expert:  Teodora B replied 14 days ago.

Perfect, sounds like a good plan. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Teodora B replied 13 days ago.

********* Chat is complete *********