Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My greedy little Staffie has just eaten a duet block filled

Customer Question

JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: My greedy little Staffie has just eaten a duet block filled with flubedazole that was intended for my chickens. Will this harm her?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much of the chicken did the Staffie eat?
Customer: Not the chicken!! The chickens are very much alive but need worming that’s why I’d made a suet block with flubendazole poultry wormer in it Is flubendazole poisonous to dogs?
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since then?
Customer: No. About five minutes ago
JA: What's the Staffie's name and age?
Customer: Bonny and she’s six Do you want my policy number
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No, just need to know if any harm will come to her
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 20 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations.Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Can you see on the packaging how many mg the block was? How big is Bonny?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
She only did it about ten minutes ago so no chance for changes to manifest as yet.
She’s about 15kg. No underlying conditions.
She’s not on any meds and she’s consumed about 60mg of flubendazole powder that I’d put into suet to worm my chickens
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I’m with bought by many so it should be free. Do you need my policy number?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I’ll see if I can get on to VPIS or NOAH
That should not be a problem. It can be dosed to dogs at 10-20 mg/ kg daily for therapeutic uses.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Perfect thank you x
That would only be a 4 mg/kg if ingested 60 mg total. As such all should be just fine. Any other questions I can assist you with today?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How can I stop her being able to jump onto my kitchen table why my back is turned ��?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No that’s fine thank you. Have a nice evening
Really with the table it is just negative reinforcement. When jumps on the table need to then do negative reinforcement. Give a time out for 15 minutes when jumps on the table.
Like put in a pet porter. This will allow for slowly teaching not to do this any more.
The suet may lead to some GI upset alos as a higher fat content.
The GI tract is full of normal bacterial flora. However, at times this normal flora can start to alternate and change to a not as healthy flora. This can lead to signs such as looser stools and even vomiting. Triggering factors for this can be changes in diet, stress, parasite, etc. This all can have a profound effejct on the harmony in the GI tract. Leading subsequently to gastro-intestinal changes. The following can help the GI tract to a more normal health.Psyllium, which is the active ingredient in Metamucil, can be added at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds of body weight twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will also be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract.
This may help with potential GI upset also.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I meant it as a silly joke sorry. She’s a rescue so she struggles with certain types of negative enforcement because of the awful way she was treated. She’s very good generally but still scavenges occasionally like she forgets herself.You’re really kind for getting back to me so fast. Have a great evening
No problem. I was not quite sure. I am happy to hear you have a very good sense of humor))
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Oh wow that’s brilliant, thank you! I’ve got some because it’s used a lot in cooking. She didn’t eat a huge amount of suet but definitely enough to give her an upset stomach and diarrhoea so I’ll give her a spoon tonight
It is great that you have been able to give her a wonderful home also. The psyllium is very easy to mix in with the food also. 1 tsp/5 kg every 12 hours.
You are more than welcome. This message will be open for some days. I will be happy to discuss this more with you if you have more questions. I am here daily. Please keep me updated if any changes or concerns arise. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Bonny today. I wish Bonny a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.