RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My puppy was given pro-kolin from the vet for diarrhoea shes

Customer Question

My puppy was given pro-kolin from the vet for diarrhoea shes not showing signs of constipation. What should I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When was the puppy's last bowel movement? Have you given her anything to help with the constipation?
Customer: Hes now** sorry
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: He went to the toilet early this morning. His name is benson
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Benson?
Customer: He was having diarrhoea and went off his food but hes now eating fine. Hes straining to go to the toilet and weeing slightly as he does. He keeps asking to go outside and groans when hes straining
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 17 days ago.

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear you are having a few problems with Benson. Pro-kolin is usually a good treatment for diarrhoea and rarely causes constipation. However, when does have diarrhoea they can often have irritation of the colon/bowel and this can cause spasms (tenesmus). Often this can cause straining and a feeling of needing to toilet but nothing passing. Unless you have seen very firm, dry faeces, I would suspect that he has tenesmus/spasms rather than actually being constipated. If he was not eating then sometimes it also takes a little bit of time for gut movements to speed up again so it may be that not as much faeces is passing through. However, it would be best to have him checked by your vet who prescribed the pro-kolin. Ideally i would recommend another appointment tomorrow and it is OK to monitor tonight.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He was eating before but wouldn't eat his own food. The vet wanted to keep him in over night and give him fluids and anti sickness but was going to cost £1000 so we ended up bringing him home with pro-kolin and oralade. He seems fine in himself but just uncomfortable. His tummy feels slightly harder than usual but he is eating and drinking ok.
He has literally just this minute had a poo but he still seems like he needs to do more

Often diarrhoea can cause quite severe dehydration which is likely why your vet wanted to keep him in to put him on a drip and rehydrate him. It is good that he is now eating and drinking as normal, but I suspect that the issue is tenesmus/colonic spasms rather than actually constipation. This is common with diarrhoea. You can phone your vet and ask for additional medication to help with this.