RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I have a chihuahua I took him to a vet 2 weeks ago for his

I have a chihuahua I took him to a vet 2 weeks ago for his yearly vaccination as pdsa are not doing them at the moment i asked about his weight as I felt it wasn't right she said he is a bit underweight I feed him 6 small meals a day but he is still loosing weight I'm very worried about him
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the Chihuahua been drinking more or less water than usual?
Customer: No
JA: Any changes in the Chihuahua's appetite?
Customer: No he eats all his food and looks for more
JA: What's the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I wormed him 2 weeks ago but I'm very worried he is really skinny my daughter feels this as well

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear you are having some problems with Charlie. I would definitely increase his feeding as suggested, especially if he is looking for more food. What age is Charlie? There are many different things which can cause weight loss with a good appetite. Charlie will need to undergo some tests to get to the bottom of this, if all of the basic things have been covered (such as worming). I would recommend that you book another appointment to discuss his weight loss (rather than a vaccine which is a routine appointment) and the vet can discuss various tests with you. Usually we would advise bloods firstly to check kidney function, liver function, protein levels, glucose levels, etc. If nothing was found on these then an abdominal ultrasound may be required, to look for any abnormalities in the structure of the organs such as the gastrointestinal tract, liver, etc. It is very difficult to diagnose any problem with doing a physical exam and then starting with some basic tests.

Dr Coles