RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Cat saw vet on Monday with constipation, given lactulose.

Cat saw vet on Monday with constipation, given lactulose. Has passed some runny stool, but no proper stool, and stopped eating on Monday night.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the cat also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Not really, she is 15 and an indoor cat. She has been walking round and drinking water.
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No, she is a very fiesty cat, but has sat with us today, being stroked.
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Sweep
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: We lost our dog a fortnight ago, put to sleep, and Sweep has missed her, but was eating until Monday.

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with Sweep. If the lactulose has caused his stool to be very loose, then it would be advisable to stop this now. A change in demeanour such as being more placid or calm can suggest discomfort or illness so I would advise that you have her seen again by the vet. Two days is a long time for a cat not to eat and would suggest she is either feeling nauseous or uncomfortable. If she did not have any tests performed on monday, then your vet may suggest that she has these now. For example, blood tests can be used to rule out kidney disease, liver disease, certain infections. There is also a possibility that she may have eaten something she shouldn't have which can cause gastritis etc. For now, I would offer her something to eat such as chicken or white fish. I would also keep her indoors somewhere warm and quiet and let her rest until your vet is able to see you again.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. Will take her back to vets.