Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Our cat has been liking her anus for a while and when

Hi! Our cat has been liking her anus for a while and when playing with her, we noticed a dark yellow pus coming out of her anal glands.. we squeezed it as much as we could and cleaned it with a tissue but just worried if it’ll be a ongoing issue, any advice?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the pus? Has the cat been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: Licking. We only noticed the puss tonight
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Rolo, she’s 6 or 7 now. Short black hair x
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: nothing that we know off. She is flead and wormed monthly

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Rolo has this issue.

It sounds as though Rolo had an anal gland impaction which resulted in an infection/abscess.

She likely needs further vet care which would include antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and a check of her glands.

To protect them for now, use a buster collar.

You can clean the area with cotton wool and saline.

Going forward, she may need a diet with more fibre, a change in her lifestyle (so she is more active) and regular anal gland emptying (this may mean she has them emptied every 6-8 weeks).

I do hope this helps and if there is anything else, just let me know.