RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My Maltese pup has just swallowed one grape. Is that okay?

Hello. My Maltese pup has just swallowed one grape. Is that okay?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What size is the puppy? How much was eaten?
Customer: Under 3kg. She ate one single small grape
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since then?
Customer: about 15 mins ago. He is eating his normal food now. Has not thrown up
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Coco
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no. She is healthyCustomer: Chat is completed

Hi there,

You are through to Dr Coles, I am a UK based Vet. Grapes are toxic to dogs even in small amounts. Unfortunately, there is no set amount which can cause toxicity. Maltese dogs are very small and her weight is very low and so one grape could be very significant. Grapes can cause acute renal failure which usually does not show symptoms for a number of days. It would be best to phone your vet tonight so that they can induce vomiting with an injection. Otherwise, if left we cannot guarantee that she will be OK and it is not worth the risk. This is urgent so I would phone your out of hours vet now. I hope you are able to get her to the vets quickly and get her sorted.

Kind regards,

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. I am in our veterinary hospital now. They are going to induce vomiting