How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RebeccaC921 Your Own Question
RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 93
Experience:  Expert
110217497
Type Your Vet Question Here...
RebeccaC921 is online now

My Maltese pup has just swallowed one grape. Is that okay?

This answer was rated:

Hello. My Maltese pup has just swallowed one grape. Is that okay?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What size is the puppy? How much was eaten?
Customer: Under 3kg. She ate one single small grape
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since then?
Customer: about 15 mins ago. He is eating his normal food now. Has not thrown up
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Coco
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no. She is healthyCustomer: Chat is completed

Hi there,

You are through to Dr Coles, I am a UK based Vet. Grapes are toxic to dogs even in small amounts. Unfortunately, there is no set amount which can cause toxicity. Maltese dogs are very small and her weight is very low and so one grape could be very significant. Grapes can cause acute renal failure which usually does not show symptoms for a number of days. It would be best to phone your vet tonight so that they can induce vomiting with an injection. Otherwise, if left we cannot guarantee that she will be OK and it is not worth the risk. This is urgent so I would phone your out of hours vet now. I hope you are able to get her to the vets quickly and get her sorted.

Kind regards,

Dr Coles

RebeccaC921 and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. I am in our veterinary hospital now. They are going to induce vomiting