Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My kitten has scabs on her head under her ear, 5 days now,

Hello my kitten has scabs on her head under her ear
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has the kitten had this scabbing?
Customer: 5 days now, because its under her ear she keeps scratching the scabs and making it worse
JA: Does the kitten ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: she doesnt go outside, shes not on medication
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Gini
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She’s 6 months old?
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear this
Do the inside of the ears appear waxy or smelly?
Would you be able to send a clear photo?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi there i have pictures from 5 minutes ago
that would be great
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
File attached (V7LVGQL)
Thank you, ***** ***** very clear.
She's lovely by the way!Any other pets in the home?
When was she last treated for fleas and with which product?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thankyou, no other pets at home, i last treated her for fleas about 2-3 weeks ago, my neighbour is a massive cat lady she gave me the flea treatment she uses but it didnt come with a label
The most common cause (by far!) of her symptoms would be a flea allergy. I would be keen to treat her with a prescription flea treatment such as Advocate. The home must also be treated at the same time (hot wash bedding, IGR flea spray such as Indorex, hoover daily etc).To protect her face we would use a buster collar and bathe the skin in saline twice daily.If itching persists she may need strong anti itch medicine from the vet and may or may not need some antibiotics too.If we rule out fleas, other considerations would include allergies to e.g. House dust mites or food so we would need to run some tests if things fail to resolve promptly.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay thankyou ill look online for all the above, she’s booked in with my vet for 24th November but thats the earliest in all my area they will see her
I understand.
If she seems unwell or the skin is worsening your vet should be able to see you sooner if you let them know.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay thankyou ill definately tell them if it gets worse
Not at all and take care!