RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My cat seems to have fleas that I can’t get rid of. I have

My cat seems to have fleas that I can’t get rid of. I have had 2 flea collars on her, as well as using a flea spray and the flea drops. She is out most of the time and only comes in for her food and a cuddle. What can I buy to use please
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Fleas can be tricky to get rid of, but the Expert can share some tips. What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** she could be 4/5 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Luna?
Customer: She has quite long fur mostly black, so it’s difficult to see any fleas but when I stroke her on my knee I feel that she has has patches of scaly skin patches. Which could possibly be flea eggs ?? She was always cleaning herself when we got her from someone, but has of late, she isn’t doing a very good job

Hello there,

You are through to Dr Coles, I am a UK based vet.

I am sorry to hear you are having these problems with Luna. Fleas are very difficult to get rid of once there is an infestation. Lots of shop bought/over the counter products do not work very well for fleas unfortunately. It is also very important to treat the house as the fleas lay eggs and these live in the carpets/sofas/bedding etc. They then hatch and climb back onto the cat so if the house is not effectively treated then the cycle continues. I would advise that you use a product called indorex to treat the house (but avoid if you have fish or birds). I would also recommend that you hoover very regularly all areas that the cat goes in. This stimulates the eggs to hatch and then you can hoover up the larvae. I would also advise that you wash her bedding and any areas where she sleeps on a hot wash above 90C. The areas of scaly skin are probably scabs and dermatitis from where she has been itching. I would recommend that you use advantage flea product, this is one of the higher quality products which can be purchased without a prescription. Lots of pet shop flea drops are ineffective. I would also recommend that you book a vet visit to get her some treatment for the scabs/scaly skin as this will be sore & irritating for her.

Dr Coles