Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My neutered male cat is attacking other cats in the

My neutered male cat is attacking other cats in the neighbourhood. He is half Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest cat, I don't know which. He is passive in the house, alongside four other cats, which include his neutered mother and three younger neutered half-siblings form a different litter (two boys, one girl). He is a Jekyll and Hyde character: passive in the house, and a bully outside of it. My neighbours who own cats want me to do something about him. I have never seen him bully other cars and am mystified. What should I do?Put him on anti-anxiety pills?
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. When did you first notice this anxiety? Does it happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: He isn't anxious - he is a bully!
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the cat with his anxiety?
Customer: no - what?
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Oreo. He is a very big cat for 1 1/2 years.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no. He is healthy and was neutered at nine months old.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet. Just a few minutes as I type my reply.
I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue with Oreo.
It's great you are keen to get it resolved!
The first step is to rule out an underlying medical issue. Some cats are grumpy/aggressive due to a source of pain such as a fractured tooth or ear infection. If he has recently been checked and all is okay, that's great.Next, I would work on practical things. This would mean putting a bell on a quick release collar so others can hear him coming and get away quickly. You could also let your neighbours know you will be letting him out at a certain time each day so they know to keep their kitties inside then.
Some cats are just territorial by nature, but we can also see this behaviour in anxious cats.
As he shares his indoor territory, this may be a source of stress. Its possible he views the outside as his 'home' if one of the other cats is more dominant.
Its important to ensure all cats have their own space where they can relax undisturbed. They each need their own bed, tray, bowls, toys etc.
Another thing to consider would be boredom/frustration. He is a clever breed and we need to stimulate him every day; both mentally and physically. This can mean a combination of interactive toys, food puzzles, brain games etc.
Lastly, it would do no harm to invest in a Feliway Friends plug in and some daily calming supplements that are added to food.
Hopefully things improve soon and we do often find that this is the most difficult age so there is a good chance things will get better as he ages and mellows!