Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

I have a rescue dog she's about 10, lived wild for over 2

I have a rescue dog she's about 10, lived wild for over 2 years, twice in the last week she's waking up in the night and keeps swallowing and licking herself..... Then she wants to go in the garden and eat pond weeeds...... Apart from this she's very happy, eating her food etc
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How many weeds did the dog eat? Do you know her weight?
Customer: She eats about 4 or 5 reeds and then it seems to stop
JA: Has she thrown up since this happened?
Customer: She's about 25kg
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Fern
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: She's not sick
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No she is never sick afterwards...... I also gave her some milk afterwards
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
When she was found she was injured but has made a good recovery and I put her on a diet to help her mobility and she's very perky and happy
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I also have her son so I have two of them..... Theyre kinda lab retriever crosses
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I give her Yu move supplements every day

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.

Just to summarise, your main concern is that Fern wakes up in the middle of the night and she licks herself? Then she goes outside to eat some weeds?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
She wakes up yacking and swallowing a lot

I understand. Is she up-to-date with vaccines, flea and wormers?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
she is
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I actually wormed her yesterday

I understand. And when did this episode start? Was is something ongoing for the past few weeks? Or was it in the past 24h?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
About a week ago she has done it twice...... Its like she has reflux or something...... She also wants to go and chew on things when it happens

Perfect. You mentioned there was no proper vomiting or diarrhoea, right?

And have you noticed her lip-smacking during the day at all? Or is this something she does just at night...

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No vomiting or diarrhoea or anyyhing.......and yes, only during the night that I've noticed but I do work too so who knows......

I understand. And are there any sores on her skin?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Not that I've noticed but I can have a look later when I get home
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I have actually noticed for a while that she tried to eat the synthetic foam out of her bed?? I don't know if it's connected to this??

I see. Based on the information you have provided, my best recommendation is to just monitor Fern for now. As long as she is eating well, going to the toilet well, there is no sneezing/coughing/vomiting/diarrhoea, she is still bright/alert/responsive, she doesn't show any signs of pain etc, we are not concerned as vets. Please make sure you do give her a theral check-over when you get back from work to make sure there are no sores on her skin.

From what you are describing, I suspect this is related to a behavioural issue (rather than a health concern). I strongly suspect the little one is not stimulated/exercised enough, has some form of anxiety or that she's developed this kind of behaviour as a "safety net"/reassurance. Eating synthetic foam is not a good thing either, as it can lead to gastro-intestinal foreign body: so this needs to be discouraged. Either you try some repellant sprays (like bitter-tasting options) so that she stops chewing the bed, or you remove the bed completly and provide an alternative. Sometimes this behavioural issues are so well embedded, that we actually need a behaviourist's assistance (+ 6-12 months of hard work) to get over them.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could assist you with.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ah I see OK, yes she is exercised twice daily and plays with her son regularly..... She has no teeth so it's difficult to get her to grip to anything to play...... She could barely walk when I got her now she's bouncing along......

I understand. Definitely, the Yumuve tablets helped then. Medically, I am not concerned about her. It's just something that we need to keep an eye on and make sure it doesn;t turn into something else.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
OK thank you..... I wondered if she might have an allergy to something? Sometimes I put olive oil or turmeric in her food too you see to help her bones as she has a bit of arthritis....... Do u think that could be a problem for her?

Allergy is definitely something that it's worth considering; but she should really have some skin sores, ear problems, anal gland issues or... "saliva marks" on her toes (orange stain). Unless you see her constantly licking herself/scratching a specific area a lot, I wouldn't think of allergies as my first differential.

In regards ***** ***** oil + turmeric, I would advise against that. The simple answer is that dogs don't normally get this from their natural environment. The complicated answer is: the risk of pancreatitis is too high if human food is added to their diet. I normally try to encourage giving just licensed products (like Yumuve for example which you are already using).

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
OK then thank you

You are more than welcome. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.