Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

He has a really bad lump on his head that's ozzing, Dog -

He has a really bad lump on his head that's ozzing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog - Doberman
JA: When did you first notice the Doberman had this lump?
Customer: He's had a casual lump for a few months which the vet has tried antibiotics but the last few days it got very worse
JA: And what's the Doberman's name and age?
Customer: Apollo just about to turn 6
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: In himself he's fine but the lump does look infected

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Good evening

Have your vets done any testing for this lump to determine its nature? (malignant vs benign)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Not yet he is booked in just worried

Thank you. Is there any chance I could ask you to send me a picture of this lump?

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (Q5S44S5)

Thank you. There is definitely pus there, so I believe it got re-infected.

Is he on any medication at the moment? (anti-inflammatories?)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No he did a full course which had no results

I understand. Do you have a Buster Collar at home?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No we don't

Thank you. Based on the information you have provided, my best recommendation is to book a re-examination at your local vet. It might be the case he needs to take more antibiotics, they might need to send a swab to the Laboratory to be cultured (as we might be dealing with multiresistant bacterias) and they need to further test that lump ASAP to decide if we can remove it. To me, it doesn't look good-natured.

I understand. Do you know if your local vets are open over the weekend?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you he is booked in tomorrow with the vet just wanted to try and get some sort of idea and heads up before then. Thank you for your time

If they're open tomorrow, this lump can wait till the morning. Ideally, you'd get a Buster Collar for him tonight from an OOH Vet Hospital.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK thank you
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Just to clear minds as Google isn't the best, ***** ***** be looking at a cyst or possibly the big C. I understand without the test it's hard to call

Perfect! That is very good news. What we could do for tonight is try to protect it (with a plastic cone/BC) and wash it with some salty water (you bring 1L of water to boil and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Let it cool off. Can be used for 72h, then needs discarding).

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Apologies if sending this twice not sure you got it, Just to clear minds as Google isn't the best, ***** ***** be looking at a cyst or possibly the big C. I understand without the test it's hard to call

I personally believe it looks malignant (cancer). A cystic structure would be more regular, spheric, fluid-filled. This looks abnormally shaped and well imbedded.

There are 3 tests your vet can perform after they've cleared the infection out:

- FNA (fina needle aspirate) - can be done conscious, in the consult room; they pop a needle into that lump and have a look under the microscope; unfortunately, this option is very limited as there is very little quantity inside the needle. Slides can be sent to the Laboratory as well to be analised.

- Biopsy: the best option! But it requires a General anesthetic. Again, we can do this just after we've cleared all the infection. I personally like to take chest X-rays if I have them under, to make sure we are not having any nasty surprises in the lungs. This option tells us, black on white, what's the nature of that lump, how to get it out, can we do chemotherapy on it? (if needed)

- Excisional surgery: again, done under General anesthesia, less safe if no biopsy is done first as we might not take enough margins and re-intervention might be needed if it comes back as a highly malignant cancer.

Sorry, it took me a while to type all of that :)

It's best not to google things at this point, to be honest as the lump looks grossly infected and it doesn't show it's true size/nature.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ha ha so sorry for the pushing I'm really sorry. Thank you ever so much for your help at least we can now prepare for tomorrow. Have a wonderful evening and again thank you for your time.

No worries. I completely understand your concerns but the best we can do is take thinks step by step and base our decision on facts. When we have a full histopathological report from the lab, then we can plan the next step forward. For now, We need to get on top of that infection.

You are more than welcome. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you this evening and for choosing Just Answer.

Kind regards,

Teodora B.

MRCVS, DVM