Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

I have an indian ringneck parakeet and returning from work I

Customer Question

Hi I have an indian ringneck parakeet and returning from work I noticed he hasnt eaten all day. He is still on his feet but not moving anymore. I really have to push him to make him open his eyes. His dropping is completely fluid.
JA: Hi there. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the Ringneck seem to be in any pain?
Customer: How to tell? He is very calm. Eyes closed.
JA: What's the Ringneck's name and age?
Customer: blue and he is 1
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Could human saliva cause such a condition?
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Can you send some pictures of Blue to review ?
Human saliva should not have caused this condition.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As of today he has had liquid dropping all day. Hasnt eaten anything. His seeds and vegetables are intact. No medical condition that I know of. A part from some feather loss around his beak which was growing back lately.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I prefer chatting.
Have you noticed any changes to the breathing? Like louder or more labored?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His breathing hasnt changed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is not making any other noises or screams either.
Does he seem less active, energetic and overall just weaker now too?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As you can see in the photo I sent he is not like this at all. He hasnt moved all evening with his eyes barely open. He only opens them if he is having a dropping which is totally liquid.
I can tell in the photo he does not feel well.
The concern is that with these signs of GI issues, some blood in the stools, some urge to go more often and less volume. These are signs that can be seen with inflamed and irritated GI tract. When the GI tract is inflamed, irritated or sore it can cause them to need to go to the bathroom more often, however less volume comes out. This is why it may look like a harder time to go to the bathroom. It is this irritation and soreness that can look this way. Then as this progresses it can lead to a decrease in appetite too. The GI tract is full of literally millions of bacteria, they help to digest the food. However at times there can be a shift from the "healthy" bacterial flora to the not so " healthy" flora. When this occurs there can be these type of changes to the GI tract and birds also have often a bacteria called Salmonella in the GI tract. This also at times can lead to more potential infection and issues. This is how all indoor birds with no exposure to other parasites often have issues. It is most important to ensure keeps eating and drinking well. Often if there is in infection and/or Salmonella an antibiotic called Enrofloxacin (Baytril tradeneme) is used daily at a rate of 20 mg/kg of bodyweight. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic and it also has activity against Salmonella too. If you have a regular veterinarian that sees any of your other pets you can ask them for a prescription for it. It is used for cats and dogs and most clinics have it on hand. Often it may be used for 7-14 days, or until after the clinical signs have returned back to normal also. The following links also will provide good information on items that you may find most helpful for your little one.Here is a link to a site that has a lot of great information and products for birds too.https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/chicken-antibiotic-medicationshttps://www.chewy.com/morning-bird-enrotex-broad-spectrum/dp/262621?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Lq9pou57QIVxpyGCh2UqQPqEAAYASAAEgKfFfD_BwEEnrotex above is an over the counter form of enrofloxacin.
To help stabilize the following can be done until can be seen at a clinic. Ensure they stay warm as they they are prone to getting more chilled. Normal temperature is 101F. A heating pad or socks filled with rice warmed in a microwave can help to keep core temperature up too.If becomes weaker and not taking oral supplementation well, then can use a syringe to gently place sugar water in the mouth, Karo Syrup also can be placed on the gums to assist in getting blood sugar levels back up.
In UK you may not have those items that you can order as in USA. However it will be best to be seen as soon as able to at a clinic for diagnostic and medication. The concern is that this can progress very rapidly.

Do you have a clinic that you will be able to take Blue to this evening?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried everywhere. They say they are not exotic bird specialists. The ones local to me can take him in.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can’t

Do you have any other pets? I am sorry to hear that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is our only pet.

The reason I asked is many times if one has other pets then a veterinarian that sees the other pets may agree to see birds. The enrofloxacin that antibiotic is used on cats and dogs at almost all clinics daily. Such that most clinics have it on hand.

Perhaps you can try this approach. Call them back, tell them you are suspect that your bird has Salmonella and you are looking to get Enrofloxacin. Tell them that you have the dosage of 20 mg/kg once a day. You will be happy to bring a fecal sample in also if they would like. If you are not able to treat Blue soon he will likely die from the Salmonella infection. Often if they are not familiar with avian medicine, if you tell them the medication and even the dosage that you desire, they may be more willing to assist also.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its 11pm and everything closed. Can I wait till the morning?

This evening work on keeping as stable as possible as I outlined above. This will be most helpful, more warmth, fluid and energy intake. They are prone to getting chilled such that the supplemental heat will be most effective.

We can keep this message open for some days, if more questions or concerns arise let me know. Your messages come directly to my iphone now.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Mike You have been very helpful.

I will be online many hours yet this evening. Please keep me updated if things change and let me know tomorrow how things go with the clinics and your discusstion with them too.

You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. I will be happy to discuss them more with you. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Blue today. I wish Blue a speedy recovery and have a great New Year. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He passed away last night around 3 in the morning.

I am so sorry to hear that. Please accept my condolences and thank you for letting me know. You did all that you could. He will always live on in your heart and in your memories. Take care my friend. Dr. Mike.