MsAM
MsAM,
6012901

My Guinea Pig is passing shorter stools than usual, I can

my Guinea Pig is passing shorter stools than usual, I can hear her stomach making gargling noises and she seems more agitated than usual. I suspected bloat and tapped her stomach and it sounded a little bit hollow. not sure what else it could be.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the guinea pig had this stomach problem? Any recent changes in her appetite?
Customer: Only noticed in the last few days, she's eating lots of hay as usual but not her pellets as much. Last week she finished her antibiotics course as she had surgery to remove a stone and cystic ovaries, she's other wise recovering well from the surgery.
JA: Does anything look different about her stool? (i.e. color, texture, etc.)
Customer: 2 days ago they were clumpy but that has seemed to subside now, they are just shorter than usual maybe half the length they should be
JA: What's the guinea pig's name?
Customer: Luna
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't think so, she seems healthy otherwise
Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged in and saw your question. You were speaking with a bot before. I’m a real person. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with over 40 years of experience raising guinea pigs and rabbits. I’m sorry to hear that Luna is having a problem.Usually, a guinea pig with bloat doesn’t want to eat. It’s a good sign that she is still eating lots of hay. However, something is clearly wrong. Anesthesia and surgery often have prolonged effects on guinea pigs, and I suspect that is what is causing the shorter droppings, stomach noises, and agitation. There are two things I would try.There is probably gas in her stomach. Buy some infants’ simethicone. This is sold in pharmacies and discount stores. Use a syringe to give her a few drops into the side of her mouth ( not straight down her throat where it can be aspirated into the lungs). This can break up gas into smaller bubbles that are easier to pass.You can also buy some BeneBac at a pet store. This is a beneficial bacteria that can help with problems like this. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the intestines as well as harmful ones. BeneBac can replenish these.You can’t overdose these two products, so don’t worry about that. If these measures don’t help, it would be best to talk to your vet again. I hope Luna will be fine.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I appreciate the response, I will definitely try those first as I have just spent a lot of money on her surgery. I was worried as I know bloat can be serious. I really appreciate your help thank you.