RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Id like someone to take a look at my bird, budgie, hes had a

Customer Question

hi- id like someone to take a look at my bird
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: budgie
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the budgie's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: hes had a slight stain above his cere for about a month, and i didnt think it was a concern- but it isnt fading, and i saw him having a sneezing fit today
JA: Has the budgie been eating and drinking normally? Have you taken his temperature?
Customer: eating and drinking normally, temperature normal
JA: In addition to the congestion, has the budgie been licking or scratching his skin?
Customer: no
JA: What's the budgie's name and age?
Customer: bjorn, hes about seven/ eight months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no- thats it
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
File attached (S5LGG2L)
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
here is a shot of his staining
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
he had a sneezing fit today- several sneezes in a row without stopping for about 2-3 mins
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 19 days ago.

Hi there,

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your budgie. I can see the stain in the photo, it looks a little bit like the feathers are parted at this area too. This can occur with nasal discharge - mucous coming from the nares can then stain above the cere. Sneezing can also be a sign of irritation to the nares and upper airways. Sometimes you do not always see the discharge coming from the nares as it can be intermittent. These signs would be suggestive of upper respiratory inflammation - which can be caused by irritants or can be caused by infection. I would ensure that you have no candles/aerosols/ teflon/ incense etc as these can cause irritation to birds airways. There are several different things which can cause respiratory infections - including bacteria, viral infections, fungal infections. There is a type of bacterial infection called chlamydophila (psittacosis) which is common in young birds especially budgies & cockatiels. I would recommend that you have him checked over by a vet in person so they can examine him and possibly take some samples from his nares/airways. They may want to trial a course of antibiotics. & anti inflammatories to see if this improves. Testing for chlamydophila can also be carried out which I would recommend because it can be transmitted to people who are immunocompromised.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
thankyou- i will take him to a vet