Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Extremely fussy with food, when she doesn’t get what she

Customer Question

Extremely fussy with food, when she doesn’t get what she wants she claws the carpet
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: 6 months
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: She can go outside but very rarely as we live on the top floor no medication
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: mittens
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Last week she really disliked her food so started urinating in the corner
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with Mittens.
Has she been spayed?
What is she currently being fed?
Any other symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, vocalisation or failure to gain weight?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
she’s been spayed, she’s currently eating felix. I’ve tried every cat food available, fresh fish, tinned tuna. She turns her nose up to 99% of things offered. Last week she really didn’t like her food (which wasn’t her usual food but due to brexit stocks are low) she stated going to the toilet on the carpet. Everyday meal is a struggle she’s so moody when she doesn’t want to eat what’s given to her.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We’ve been to see a vet, she told us the cat is healthy and it’s behavioural
It's reassuring to know she is medically okay.With regards ***** ***** cats experience a naturally declining appetite at this age and after being spayed. They have done most of their growing and need a lot less food then when they were kittens.
So, when perhaps they would previously have eaten with good appetite they may now skip a meal of have a low appetite on some days. This can be normal as their calorie requirements go way down. It is not a concern and we shouldn't intervene.
It is important not to take this as them disliking the food and offer something else. This is what actually creates a fussy cat. If every time a cat refuses dry food, we give wet food or chicken, that's a sure fire way of getting them to stop eating dry food completely!
If her energy levels are normal and she is a normal weight and not losing weight, I would simply offer the food you want her to eat regularly. If she doesn't eat it, don't worry and offer it again at the next meal time. Once hungry , she will eat it.With regards ***** ***** I don't expect this is due to her being upset at the food being offered. Cats appreciate being offered food, even if it's not their favourite.
Urinating on the carpet is more likely linked to general stress and can occur due to e.g. a lack of exercise and mental stimulation, a new pet in the home or a medical issue such as cystitis.
I would recommend a Feliway plug in, lots of enriching activities, a cat bed with a roof so she has some space to herself and some calming supplements.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help
Not at all and wishing her all the very best!