Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

A dog. I'm looking for information om what an animal health

Customer Question

JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A dog. I'm looking for information om what an animal health certificate entails
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Can I speak to a real person
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. When did the dog last see a vet? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: They are a puppy 9 weeks
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Magic
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm trying to find out what thr OV does when issuing a health certificate, as I'd like to arrange one virtually.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It is for travel to France
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We go every few weeks and I wanted to find out the cheapest way to get her the certificates
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 15 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for your question. The process for obtaining an animal health certificate is as follows.

• Your dog must be over 3 months of age, microchipped and vaccinated against rabies (at least 21 days prior to travel).
  • Your dog must be presented in person to an OV less than 10 days prior to travel to be checked over and to have the AHC issued.
  • The certificate is only valid for one return back to the UK but for up to 4 months of onward travel within the EU.
  • A worming treatment is still required between 24hrs and 120 hours (5 days) before re entry into the UK and must be documented on the certificate by a vet.
  • The certificate cannot be issued online or virtually.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

Hello, thanks ! In which regulation does it require the animal to be viewed in person, is that a UK regulation or an EU one. I'm interested as you can do virtual GP appointments but not vet ones yet, so looking into liberalising the rules to enable it.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 15 days ago.

The animals microchip must be checked before providing the certificate as the number must be noted on the certificate along with details fo the rabies vaccination. This can only be done in person.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 15 days ago.

Full information can be found here http://apha.defra.gov.uk/External_OV_Instructions/Export_Instructions/Certification_Procedures/Small_Animal_Exports/Animal_Health_Certificates.html

Actually online/phone consultations are currently allowed as a temporary dispensation from the Rcvs due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but they are only suitable for a limited number of situations and at the discretion of the vet at the time.