RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I think she may have a yeast infection on 2 of her paws

Customer Question

I think she may have a yeast infection on 2 of her paws which looks worse when she licks them.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: Have you spoken to a vet about the yeast infection yet? How long has this been going on with the dog?
Customer: just last couple of days. I want to try meduseb shampoo to see if it will help but I need a prescription
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dana 10 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your dog. Can I ask what symptoms you have noticed that made you think she has a yeast infection?

Malaseb shampoo needs a prescription because it has antifungal medication in it which can be unsuitable if not used for the correct reason. So it could make some conditions possibly worse rather than better.

Yeast infections (malsezzia) on the paws are usually secondary to allergies and allergic skin conditions, rather than a condition on their own. They usually occur because the bodies skin barrier is not good and there is more irritation caused by something which is a normal commensal organism (normally present on the skin). Usually excessive chewing of the paws, causes secondary infections rather than the other way round.

For a prescription medication she needs to be examined by a vet to get the prescription. This is to ensure there is not another underlying issue. Usually we would recommend tape strips/cytology samples to be taken from the paws to look for demodex mites etc.

If you would like a shampoo that you can use without a prescription which is good for skin conditions - I would recommend duo pyo shampoo and duo pyo foam which you can apply to the paws.

Dr Coles