RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

We have a rescue dog from Romania he is almost 6 years old,

We have a rescue dog from Romania he is almost 6 years old, we have had him for 8 weeks but in the past 3 weeks on particular nights between 9-10pm he starts growling and snarling quiet bad at my husband and we dont know what to do for the best, ***** ***** bad dreams as well and growls and snarls in his sleep, h was chained up for 5 years by his owner in Romania, can you please advise is there anything we can do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this growling happen all the time or only sometimes?
Customer: only sometimes
JA: Have you tried anything so far that helps the dog with his growling?
Customer: Like what? I just tell him no and stop that it is naughty I dont shout
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he will be 6 years old on the 20th March we think he is a pyrenese mountain sheepdog and he wighs 40 kilos or more
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sage?
Customer: All I can tell you is he was rescued from a killing farm in Romania his owner never wanted him anymore he was kept as a guard dog I think and chained up for all of his 5 years on concrete. He has got wobbly back legs because of being chained up and he is on metacam, his tail and elbows was sore but that has cleared up now. Then from Romania he was taken to Somerset and in kennels for 6 weeks he has been neutered and then he was in foster home for 6 weeks before coming to us

Hi there,

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your dog. Unfortunately behavioural problems are very common in dogs who are brought from abroad. Often they have been stray or ill treated and unfortunately a lot of the time they are not accustomed to life within a home. Often they have never experienced things that we see as normal - indoor life and objects we see as completely normal can be very daunting for them. Unfortunately it is very sad as many of them have been exposed to awful things and sometimes unfortunately do not acclimatise well to being pet dogs because of this mistreatment. Often they are very fearful and by 6 years old most behaviours are quite ingrained - i.e he has probably learnt to fear people and be territorial/defensive. I would strongly recommend that you start working on this with a veterinary behaviourist, because this is quite a serious issue which will take a lot of work. The rescue should inform new owners if the dog has any possible behaviour issues. Veterinary behaviourists will be able to do video consultations online however often they need a referral letter from your own vet. I would advise that your vet checks him over to ensure he isn't needing more pain relief. He could be quite stiff/sore still and joint pain definitely can make dogs act aggressively. I would also recommend starting him on a supplement such as Yucalm (you can buy this online) to help. You can also use adaptil plugins which are pheromone diffusers. If things do not improve, your vet can also prescribe some stronger medications which work as anti anxiety medications and help to reduce this type of behaviour.

Dr Coles