Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has had 2 fits, the first fit was about a month ago,

Customer Question

My cat has had 2 fits
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the cat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: the first fit was about a month ago, then another a week ago. Last night he fell off the sofa, and laid still, it didn’t look like a fit but certainly wasn’t normal
JA: How has the cat's appetite been? Any changes in his stool?
Customer: eating as normal. He toilets outside, he used to go far away from home but now just in garden on grass
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: Not likely
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mikey 14
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: When he was a kitten I was told he has a heart murmor. He has a brown spot in his right eye that has come out today.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 9 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and understand you must be worried about Mikey. Witnessing a fit can be incredibly traumatic, especially when in a much loved pet.
There are a number of possible causes for fits in a senior cat including liver disease, kidney, disease, diabetes, an overactive thyroid, a tumour, an infection etc.
Epilepsy is highly unlikely as it tends to start before the age of 5.
A toxic ingestion is also less likely given the spacing of the seizures.
To know what we are dealing with, a should see a vet who will examine him and may run some tests such as a blood test.
He may well benefit from anti seizure medicine and the vet can also issue Diazepam to give in the event of any more seizures.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He gets so distressed going in the car I was hoping to avoid it, but I guess he needs to go now.
Unfortunately I do think it is necessary and I'm sorry to hear it stresses him out.
Consider covering his carrier in a thick towel to block out noise and light.
In case he feels car sick, try not to feed for 2 hours before the car ride.
Ensure you put him in the carrier just before you need to leave, to avoid him staying in there too long.
Finally, you could spray a sheet or blanket with Feliway and pop it in the carrier; this can help reduce stress.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Not at all and wishing Mikey all the very best.