RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Leopard gecko has lost weight shaking head with mouth wide

Leopard gecko has lost weight shaking head with mouth wide open
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did this shaking start? Have you noticed any coughing, limping, or drooling as well?
Customer: about a week. But she sleeps most of the time. No nothing
JA: And what's the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: nova and she is 8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she does struggle to shed
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sounds like she’s sneezing

Hello there,

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your gecko. Often they have their mouth wide open as a defensive mechanism or when stressed. I would double check that there is nothing stuck inside her mouth then carefully check her eyes, nose and ears for any abnormalities. It is possible there could be some shed stuck over her nostrils and causing difficulty breathing. If this continues, I would advise calling the emergency vets to have her seen tonight as there is likely something causing severe discomfort or respiratory distress for her to have her mouth wide open. Respiratory infections are possible, but sometimes Geckos will hold their mouth open when in pain as well. I would also check that nothing in the enclosure has changed and ensure that your temperatures are adequate (not too hot).

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The tank is at 28_30 what its always been has a warm and cold hide too. I was thinking a cold or possible hibernation

Leopard geckos do not hibernate or get the cold. They can get respiratory infections but usually these are bacterial/viral and secondary to another condition causing immune suppression. I would definitely advise having him checked ASAP.