Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

He’s being lethargic doesn’t have any interest in food had

Customer Question

JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: he’s being lethargic doesn’t have any interest in food had just a little bit of water has been throwing up for a couple of days now his temperature is a little low as well
JA: I'm so sorry the animal isn't feeling well, but those details will be very helpful for the Expert. Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: he occasionally nibbles on plastic and he wanders around outside occasionally.
JA: What's the animal's name and age?
Customer: Harvey and he’s 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: not that I can think of. He’s usually quite vocal and he has been very quiet.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 10 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet
I'm sorry to hear Harvey is unwell.
What breed is he?
Are his gums pink and wet?
What is his temperature?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He is tonkinese
Not sure on his temp but his gums are more whitish pink but they are wet.
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.
Could you send a photo if the gums?
Does he go outside?
Any access to toxins such as lilies, raisins, cleaning products or human medicine?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He goes out occasionally but not far from the house. He hasn’t had contact of any toxins inside the house. Just trying to get a photo now
Great, thank you.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is the photo alright or would you like me to try again?
No photo has come through I'm afraid. Perhaps if you send it again? I'll let you know when I get it.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (S4S2MZS)
Thank you, ***** ***** they seem a little pale.
I would want him seen ASAP so we can perform a blood test to check for anaemia (a low red cell count) and give him a general check over.
His symptoms could have many causes including a toxin ingestion, internal bleeding, pancreatitis etc.
He may need intravenous fluids and other intervention so the sooner we get this started the better.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’ve got an appointment first thing tomorrow morning at pets at home. My usual vets were already closed and closed on Sunday
I would want to keep a close eye on him over night.
Ensure his gums do not get more pale, his abdomen isn't bloated and his breathing is settled and no faster than 30 breaths a minute.
If he let's you, you could take his rectal temperature to ensure it is no lower than 38°c.
Keep him in a warm room and allow him to rest.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Breathing and belly is fine and he’s wrapped up in an electric blanket. He always sleeps with us so keeping an eye on him will not be a problem.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Not at all and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We will. Thanks again
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We decided to take Harv to the hospital as he’s been sick again.
I think that's sensible. Hopefully we get some answers soon and he is on the mend.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Agreed. Best to let the professionals see him and her to the bottom of it. Appreciate your help today.

Not at all; stay safe.