Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

5 week old puppy can’t keep any food down, milk, biscuits,

5 week old puppy can’t keep any food down, milk, biscuits, etc
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: foamy mostly but also liquidy
JA: Could the puppy have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: No shes skinnier than the others
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: She hasnt Got a name yet
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: she’s a French bulldog, when she was born, she struggled latching onto mum, therefore we gave her goats milk, she then became stronger, feeding off her mum. Started to eat grain free dry biscuits mixed with warm water, as all of our other puppies do, she was fine until a week ago the vomiting started
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.
Vomiting or regurgitating food is very uncommon in pups of her age.
As the others aren't affected, an infection is less likely.
As she is also under weight, we would need to rule out an underlying health issue such as a megaoesophagus, liver shunt or persistent right aortic arch.
A vet check is needed so she can be checked over and she may also have some other tests run such as a blood test and some diagnostic imaging.
In the mean time, stick to one highly digestible wet puppy food that is fed little and often and encourage nursing.
Do also ensure she is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She’s due a check up and vaccination on the 8th of March as that’s the earliest we could get her in for.Shall I stick to wet puppy food(dry biscuits and warm water) ? And how much should I give her? Do I feed her regularly throughout the day ?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
For example, every 2 hours ?
I would feed every 4 hours if this suits her ok. The amount you need to give depends on the diet she is fed and her current weight and there should be a guide on the back of the packet. Feed for her desired weight.
Given her symptoms, she needs to be seen sooner than this. I would contact the vet and let then know what is happening. If they can't see you much sooner, I would go to another vet as these symptoms are a red flag at her young age and it is important we get on top of thing soon.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay Thankyou, because she is so small and is literally vomiting straight after eating, do I give her a really small portion then feed her again 4 hours later?
Would this get her used to eating maybe? Expanding her appetite (stomach)
little and often is best. Try to ascertain how much can be given without her vomiting. The sooner she is seen by a vet who can advise on a tailored plan, the better.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I was able to feed her 1 dry biscuit, the rest she wasn’t interested. Then I tried her with goats milk, a very small portion, she then threw it back up
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She’s not interested in the dry biscuits, she was spitting them out as I tried feeding her myself.
I will try the wet food (dry biscuits with warm water) again but that didn’t work last time either.
I wouldn't feed goat's milk but would try puppy milk as it is better designed for puppy's sensitive digestive systems.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The goats milk is puppy milk, it was labelled as puppy milk
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
She can’t even feed off her mother, she vomits after everything
Ok, as long as it is puppy milk that is fine.
She sounds very poorly and does need to see a vet as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m really worried and upset, I’m hoping my vet can see her asap
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
From hearing these symptoms what would you say this is ?
As I say, we would consider congenital issues such as megaoesophagus, a shunt or a persistent right aortic arch. We would also consider an obstruction due to e.g. an intusussception or foreign body.
Fingers crossed it is something that can be easily treated and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay Thankyou I will call the vet tomorrow morning