DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+yrs Exp in vet care. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice
20798050

My dog has just been diagnosed with kidney failure. She’s

Hi my dog has just been diagnosed with kidney failure. She’s now constantly licking her lips and swallowing. Is it connected?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much did the dog eat? Do you know her weight?
Customer: She’s 20 kg just a normal amount of food specifically for renal issues
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since then?
Customer: no
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: honey 15
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no

Hello there. This is Dr.Paul Brazzell- Nice to meet you.

I am sorry that you are having trouble with your pet; I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost best to help you. Please note that it may take a few minutes to see my reply to your posts. Discussing the case by phone allows me to be more efficient and accurate in my assessment of the problem.

Is she eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Nice to meet you. She has left her food this morning but she’s been eating and drinking fine. The constant licking and swallowing has been going on a few days

Thanks. What medications is she taking?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
None
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Actually she is on youmove for arthritis

Thank you. Yes, it is possible that she has an upset stomach (uremic gastritis) secondary to the kidney problems. I would recommend giving her Nexium at 1 mg/kg daily for 5-7 days time. And, it would be prudent to peak to your veterinarian tomorrow to update them. You can buy the Nexium OTC at any chemist.

Paul

Thank you for using Just Answer.

I will be available for follow-up if you have more questions.

Dr. Paul Brazzell