Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a beautiful Belgian malinos who's is 2 years and 9

Hi i have a beautiful Belgian malinos who's is 2 years and 9 months old and last week he has had a lump/ cyst like pink ball come on the bottom of his paw im really worried has I don't have the money to take him to the vets
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Boy Belgian malinos
JA: When did you first notice the animal had this lump?
Customer: Last week
JA: What's the animal's name?
Customer: Zane
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't have the money to take him to the vets can pdsa help me

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

Hopefully I can help today.

Could you send a photo of the lump?

Is it bothering Zane?

To clarify, this is an online advice service and the vets on this site are not associated with the PDSA or any other clinic.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi attached is the photo of Zane paw
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm so worried and don't have the money for treatment at the moment what should I do

Thank you for this clear photo. I'm just typing my reply now.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It came last week and doesn't cause him any harm or bother him at all

As Zane is a young dog, this lump being something sinister is less likely.

From looking at a photo (or even examining the growth in person), it is impossible to say what it is.

To know for sure, we would need to take a sample of the growth and have it analysed by a lab.

Potential causes would include:

• A Histiocytoma. A non cancerous growth of young dogs that tends to resolve by itself with time
  • A papilloma / wart
  • A sebaceous cyst
  • Tumour such as a mast cell tumour

You should not allow any licking or chewing.

Keep it clean by bathing it with saline.

Monitor closely for any growth or change.

As I say, sampling it would be ideal so we can be 100% sure it is nothing to worry about, but I understand this may not be affordable at this time.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay so shall I just keep it clean and keep an eye on it and if it gets worse take him to the pdsa

In the ideal world, we would sample it now to determine what it is, as there is a small chance it is something that needs to be removed. However, if this is not currently possible then this sounds sensible, yes.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you and how much roughly would it cost to take him in and have a sample removed

Costs vary depending on the clinic and other factors such as the size of the dog.

As a very rough estimate, a fine needle aspirate (sample when a needle is inserted and a few cells are removed and sent for analysis) can cost from £80-150 in my clinic in West London.

If a surgery is needed to remove the lump, this is more expensive as we need to use anaesthetic, medication etc and we may be looking at e.g. £200-400.

You would go for a consultation and all estimates would be discussed first.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Okay thank you so much

Not at all and wishing you both all the best.