Veterinary questions? Ask a Vet for Answers ASAP
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned that Lulah ingested a grape, but I am pleased to hear that it was only one.
I am typing a response now. If you cannot see it here in several minutes please check your email, including spam/junk folders, for an email with a link to my response.
Grapes can be toxic to dogs, but they must eat a certain amount per pound of body weight to get sick. Grapes can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, then increased water consumption, lethargy, and kidney failure in dogs, but the toxicity is dose dependent meaning a big dog would have to eat more than a small dog.Some dogs are more sensitive than others but a toxic dose is usually 3 grapes per kilogram of body weight (3 grapes per 2.2 pounds).In very sensitive dogs they report that dangerous doses begin at about 0.18 ounces of grapes per pound of dog weight. That’s 1.8 ounces (about 8-9 grapes) for a 10-pound dog, and 3.6 ounces (16-20 grapes) for a 20-pound dog, or more than 1/2 a grape for a 2 pound pupIf she weighs more than 2 pounds even if she ate 2 grapes she should be fine, you will NOT see signs of toxicity.I understand there is a lot of conflicting information out there. To be safe we recommend no grapes. But they do need to eat a certain minimal amount per pound of body weight.FYI: Signs of toxicity usually occur with 12 to 24 hours, but in some cases 48 hours. Signs of toxicity include lloss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, increased water consumption and finally lack of urine production.If dogs eat a toxic amount of grapes we need to get them on intravenous fluids to protect the kidneys.
But in her case this should NOT be an issue.
It has been my pleasure to help you today. You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!
Glad to help, my best to your little one!