Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Gypsys fur seems kind of greasy can you sort of be straight

Gypsys fur seems kind of greasy can you sort of be straight up with me.... your honest opinion

Hello again, thanks for the request. Please give me a moment to type my response.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you think she can feel my fear and anxiety and haertach

It is not uncommon to see poor coat and skin health with chronic or serious illnesses. The body reserves essential nutrients for essential systems like the brain and heart. So the "less essentials" like the skin and hair miss out and as a result the pup will often look scruffy, with flaky skin or a greasy unkempt appearance.

Given her age and symptoms I think that Gypsy likely has some sort of internal organ compromise/failure, kidney disease and diabetes would be high on my list of differentials but so would a systemic infection or cancer. No one can tell you more without testing.

She has been your friend for a long time, and dogs are very good at reading nonverbal cues (voice tone, body language) so yes, I think she will respond to you being upset.

I am sure she is doing her best to act as normal as possible, because she knows that you are sad/stressed/upset. But she is a sick pup and so her lethargy continues.

She needs an exam and some testing. If finances are tight ask that all testing be done in a stepwise fashion, looking for more likely issues first. So an exam, mini blood panel and urinalysis would be a great starting point. Those tests will give a wealth of information about what may or may not be the issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Last night I thought she had passed away I tried to lift her head up and it was ploppy... I shook her then she without energy woke up
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It looked like she stopped breathing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She seems to be breathing quite loud through her nose
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there

I am here.

It sounds like she is very weak, and she has some nasal congestion.

Dogs with kidney disease may breathe differently as a way to get rid of blood acids.

Is there any option for having her seen by a veterinarian today or tomorrow?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't got the money. I'm sorry. I don't know what to do

Is there a PDSA clinic you can call?

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/our-services

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm going to do my best she is all I've got in the world
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is a member in bow east London

I understand. I know this is very, very hard. I wish I could give you a good plan for helping her at home, but I do not believe that is an option for her now, poor little one is too sick.

Do you best to keep her drinking and eating small meals today to keep her strength up as much as possible.

Then do your best to get her into the PDSA clinic as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. Thank you very much. I'm broken hearted I can't stop crying
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You have been there for me God bless you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry this may sound silly but I can't take any eyes off her. I keep watching her breathing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does fresh air help
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I mean as comfortable as possible. What can I do to do this please

Try to get her to drink fluids often. Add water/broth to her meals. Whatever is going on hydration is key.

Don't push her to exercise, slow walks to go outside to eliminate.

If she enjoys being outside, by all means let her rest outside. But don't push her to go out of she doesn't feel up to it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What happens when she does leave me what do I do please

Should she pass away then I would put her body in a garbage bag and try to keep it somewhere cool. Then contact your local PDSA and ask what they recommend. They can help you from there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks

Of course!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello did you get my question
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok

Hello, I wanted to check in on Gypsy and see how she fared, and if you were able to have her examined. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is nearly back to normal

I am very glad to hear that!