RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My leopard gecko has not been eating for a while now, I have

Customer Question

My leopard gecko has not been eating for a while now, I have tried different foods and checked the temperature and stuff but not sure what to do.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the leopard gecko's appetite? Any changes in energy?
Customer: Her energy hasn’t really changed but it’s been about 2-3 weeks of not eating
JA: Does the leopard gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: I don’t think so
JA: What's the leopard gecko's name?
Customer: smiley
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: when we got her she was very picky with eating, wouldn’t eat anything other than waxworms and now she won’t eat that. Her tail has shrunk a lot and has been shedding a lot recently
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 20 days ago.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Please continue your search
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 19 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 15 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your gecko. I am sorry it has ta***** *****er to be in contact with an expert as experts who can deal with reptiles are available less commonly. How old is your gecko?
There are many different things which could be causing this inappetance. You mentioned you have checked the temperature of her enclosure. Does she have a heat bulb or just a heat matt? I usually find a heat matt is not enough to maintain adequate temperature. You mentioned that her tail has shrunk a lot which means she is losing a lot of weight. Reptiles are prone to problems where if they are not eating (regardless of the initial cause) they can develop a condition called hepatic lipidosis. This then becomes a vicious cycle and makes them worse. It is possible she could have parasites such as coccidia, pinworms and motile flagellates. It is also possible at this time of year that she could have developed follicular stasis as this is very common in females. The ovaries start to develop eggs but do not form a shell, leading to infection and inflammation in the abdomen.  Waxworms are quite high in fat so if this was all she was eating before this would make her more prone to developing hepatic lipidosis. I would advise having her examined by a reptile vet as soon as you can. They will need to examine her and feel her abdomen, check her faeces for parasites and possibly take x-rays. I would advise bathing her twice daily in reptoboost solution with warm water to keep her hydrated. You can also try to syringe feed her with critical care formula which is an electrolyte however she does need to see the vet ASAP.

Dr Coles