RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

He won’t wake up or eat. I bathe him every day in warm water

He won’t wake up or eat. I bathe him every day in warm water but he just goes back to sleep again.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Herman’s tortoise
JA: How long has the tortoise been lethargic? Any changes in his appetite?
Customer: Woke him up last week & doesn’t want to eat
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: no -he’s it been outside yet
JA: Hi there. What's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: Sherl & he’s’ about 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Usually When he wakes up from hibernation I give him a bath & he usually weed & poos. He’s had 3/4 baths now & nothing. He’s just gone back to sleep against b

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I’m still waiting ok ??
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
His eyes are quite bright when he’s awake - which isn’t very often !!
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What’s happening now ??
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can you tell me what’s happening about my tortoise - I sent my questions a couple of days ago & I’m still waiting for a reply. Thanks
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
pease - Carry on looking - Thanks

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your tortoise. He sounds very poorly. If he has been hibernating and he has not woken up well, it is likely he is suffering from issues due to hibernation. These can include kidney disease, infections, dehydration etc. Hibernation needs to be performed in a temperature controlled fridge and if not then fluctuations in temperature can cause food in the gastrointestinal tract to decay and cause infection. It also causes a severe impact on their immune system. As you are already bathing him, I would advise bathing twice daily in warm water with reptoboost solution. However he needs to see a vet ASAP. It is likely that he will need assisted feeding by a vet (with a small tube into the stomach) and supplementation with calcium, injections of fluids and likely antibiotics. He may require blood tests too.

Dr Coles

RebeccaC921,
Experience: Expert