Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

2 nights in a row now, My Boston terrier is panting like

Customer Question

Hi, 2 nights in a row now, My Boston terrier is panting like crazy. Last night I gave him a pain killer and anti inflammatory which helped after 10 mins. Tonight nothing is helping. What is this?
JA: Hi there. I know panting can be worrying. Let's get you talking to the Vet. What's the Boston Terrier's name and age?
Customer: Floyd and he’s 10
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no I don’t think so
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi, I’m taking him to the out of hours anyway
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.Does he have any other symptoms such as lethargy, a reduced appetite, stiff joints or a bloated abdomen?Why is he on pain killers and anti inflammatories?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 16 days ago.

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

Panting and restlessness can have several causes including a source of pain, anxiety, canine dementia or nausea.

Given his age and breed I would want to rule out e.g. Intervertebral Disc Disease, arthritis, an anal gland impaction or dental disease.

A full vet check is best and they may wish to run some tests such as a blood test.

Hopefully we can get things sorted soon as I appreciate this must be a big worry.

All the best,

Linda.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, Thankbyou for your response and apologies for the late reply. No other symptoms whatsoever and is only happening at night. During the day he’s his normal self without any pain. He’s eating and drinking as normal also. The vet mentioned seizures to anxiety, But I k ow my dog and it’s not anxiety on it’s own. I have pain meds for him tonight, Then I’m back in with him on Tuesday for fasting bloods then back in a few hours after he’s been fed. The lot of hours told me to arrange for an mri with my bet. But my vet said not at this point which had perplexed me.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for keeping me in the loop.

It would be worth videoing the behaviour in case it may be seizure activity but I agree it may be anxiety/stress or pain related. Sometimes the distraction of the day helps with mild to moderate pain and then dogs feel it more at night.

It would be useful to do a pain relief trial as you are tonight.

I would see what the blood tests say and then we would consider further tests e.g. an MRI.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m planning on videoing him tonight with a laptop to try capture anything that maybe happening also.Well that would make sense why only happening at night. It’s part of the problem that there’s so much I don’t know about this, So thank you for the clarification here.
An ongoing video is a great idea. I do hope we get to the bottom of this soon.