Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I think my cat has conjunctivitis, no i haven’t spoken to a

Customer Question

i think my cat has conjunctivitis
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about conjunctivitis yet? How long has this been going on with the cat?
Customer: no i haven’t spoken to a vet yet. i noticed her eye squinting since yesterday now it has gotten worse
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** her age is 1year and 10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Sushi?
Customer: no, just the eye infection
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 18 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload close up photos of the open eye to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (T5G3MSQ)
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
File attached (LG71SS7)

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

The excellent photos reveal conjunctivitis usually caused by feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). Thankfully, it usually goes into remission unaided within 1-3 weeks. The bacteria Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila can be found in conjunction with FHV-1 or as sole infecting agents but they, too, should go into remission unaided in that time frame. In the case in which my patient doesn't improve within the initial 10 days from the onset of symptoms, the antibiotic of choice - doxycycline - should be prescribed by Sushi's attending vet to address those bacteria. Over the counter (not in all states) Terramycin* ophthalmic ointment is a good choice for bacterial conjunctivitis should this arise. It's reasonable to assume that it may have and so dosing is a 1/4" ribbon of ointment on to the cornea (clear window of the eye) thrice daily for a minimum of 10 consecutive days. If you don't see improvement within that period of time, please note that FHV-1 can cause such damage to the cornea (clear window) of the eye that the cornea can rupture often leading to loss of the eye.

Antibiotics don't address viruses such as FHV-1 but her vet can prescribe the antiviral drug famciclovir if the vet thinks that a serious case of FHV-1 is brewing.

As long as she continues to eat, drink, and act normally in spite of the clinical signs of upper respiratory infection, and infected eyes don't worsen, Sushi doesn't need to be attended to by her vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

*https://www.walmartpetrx.com/p-1292-terramycin-ophthalmic-ointment.aspx?sku=12064&&adid=*****************013&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=356303949991&wl4=pla-297849196023&wl5=9032769&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=13641038

If you can't find Terramycin ophthalmic ointment over the counter and a vet's attention isn't possible here's the next best choice:

https://vetericyn.com/product/vetericyn-plus-antimicrobial-ophthalmic-gel/ Discontinue its use if you see worsening rather than improvement.