Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

My turtle is staying above water and gasping for air, I

Customer Question

My turtle is staying above water and gasping for air
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does this gasping happen all the time or only sometimes? Does the turtle have a cough as well?
Customer: I haven’t noticed a cough but he’s just floating in the water then staying on the basking area all day Not eating either
JA: And what's the turtle's name and age?
Customer: m&m hes 8-10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Sorry, I didn't;t get the little one's name... Can you please repeat that for me?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
M&m
Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Perfect, thank you! Is he well in himself otherwise? Does he eat normally? Do the faeces look normal?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He hasn’t been eating much recently, I’ve been told a carrot bath is good for them. He’s gasping for air all the time and he’s staying on the basking area all day
Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Is there any chance you can send me a quick video?

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Are you still online?

Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Based on the very limited information you have provided so far, my best recommendation is to book the little one a hands-on consult at your local vet. Gasping for air can have many causes from fungal infections to anatomical abnormalities. He is very young to have collapsing trachea but I still can't exclude that either. After a full health evaluation and a complete thoracic exam, the vet might recommend taking a quick X-ray to better understand the nature of this condition. Please make sure your local vet is familiar with examining and treating turtles - if not, feel free to ask for a referral to an Exotics Specialist.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** refer a vet for me ?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can send the video when I’m home if that helps ?
Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Yes, I can recommend a vet for you based on your postcode. Where are you located?

Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Normally the vet choice is a matter of personal preference, as owners often read reviews and call around to see if surgeries are happy to see exotics. But I can certainly have a look into this and see if I can't find any Exotics Clinic near you (once you provide me with your postcode).

Expert:  Teodora B replied 12 days ago.

Yes, please. Send me a video as soon as you have one.