Linda Garrett
Linda Garrett,
Experience:  Owner at Self
75966804

He was in a fight today and I've just noticed a wound on his

Customer Question

He was in a fight today and I've just noticed a wound on his neck. Is it possible to send a picture? I'm not sure if I should take him to the emergency vet. Thanks.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Sorry he's a cat
JA: Is the cat bleeding at all? Any sign of swelling?
Customer: It's not running but looks sore and there is a bit of blood when I wipe with a tissue
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: It does look swollen Alfie and he's 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He's been eating and is morning around OK. He's itching the spot Moving
Expert:  Linda Garrett replied 16 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda, & thanks for contacting JustAnswer.  I hope I can assist with your concerns today.

I am so sorry for your worries with Alfie.  Yes, if you can attach a picture it would be of great help to me.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can I attach here or do I need to send it? Sorry for the delay it was a bit difficult trying to take the pics

No problem.  You will need to attach it here.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I can't see an option to attach a pic

Do you see a paper clip icon?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No, I'm on my phone, is that only available on PC?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm on my PC now just transferring the pics

If not, do not worry.  Most likely Alfie was bitten by another cat.  These bites can get infected very quickly, so the quicker you can take him in somewhere, the quicker antibiotics can be started.  A week of antibiotics usually clears these things up very nicely.

Depending on the time where you are, I would have him seen as soon as your veterinarians are available.  Most often a bite does not require an expensive emergency visit, but you also do not want to wait 2-3 days to have this looked at.

And, I am the worst person to ask anything technical about phones & computers, so sorry about that.

Please reply with any additional questions or concerns you may have.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They should be attached now, I'm sorry
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I saw them fight, so it was another cat. Around 11am today. His neck looks a little swollen and I'm not sure if you can see the pics. There is a little bloody discharge coming from the area. He's been eating and grooming since but he slept most of the day.

Got it!

Yes, that is a bite abscess that has opened up.  Just get him to a vet tomorrow  to start antibiotics.  You can clean this with a little peroxide for now, but no need to rush him in anywhere unless you want to.

Sorry, I am unable to take a phone call at this time.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That's not a problem I appreciate just being able to chat to you at this time of night. I don't have peroxide is there anything else I can use?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Should I be concerned about the swelling? Or take him to the emergency vet if his breathing alters? I'm guessing if he's eating he's breathing OK?

Any kind of skin cleanser would be fine.  Do you have any chlorhexidine or povidone-iodine ( Betadine)?  I just would not use regular soap because it is so hard to get it all out of the hair.

The swelling in the result of skin inflammation from the bite.  It will go down once he is on antibiotics.  And, he should not have any breathing problems from this unless there is some other underlying injury.  But, if his breathing does become rapid or labored, or anything else concerns you with his health, it is always best to have him seen as soon as possible.  But, if he is eating & otherwise acting pretty normal, just get him in during regular hours to have this looked at.

Anything else I can help with at this time?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I don't really have anything like that. Only some face wash but it might have soap in it. Would a cotton pad and cooled down boiled water be enough?

Add a tablespoon of salt, & that will be perfect to clean the wound.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
A table spoon for a mug?

Actually, that will work just fine.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Some hair has matted which might be obscuring something. I'll try to clean it as best I can now. Thank you for your help.

You are so welcome!

Your veterinarian will clean this up better, clip away the hair & make sure it is treated properly.  He may even decide to stitch it up a bit, so do not worry about doing too much now.  Alfie will do just fine once he has been seen.

If anything else should concern you, please do not hesitate to let me know & I will get back with you as quickly as I can.

Take care & all the best to Alfie.

Oops, forgot to hit the completed button!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm sorry to bother you again but I've noticed his lips look dry as well
Expert:  Linda Garrett replied 15 days ago.

I am so sorry for the delayed response, but the system seemed to have crashed last night & I was unable to log on.

For what its worth, his lips look just fine in your picture.  How  is he doing today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No problem sorry I'm late replying back. I took him in the next day and he was given antibiotics. He's fine now thank you. When I requested a phone call they took payment even though you were not available. Would it be possible to get a refund on the 15 pound phone call fee please? Thank you, DaveH
Expert:  Linda Garrett replied 11 days ago.

I am just so glad Alfie  is doing so well.  Unfortunately, I have no access into the financial side of this operation.  You should be able to contact customer service & they will be happy to rectify your account.

Thank you for letting me know how he is doing.

Take care & all the best to Alfie!