Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a kitten approximately 8/9 weeks old, poop keeps

Customer Question

Hello there
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I have a kitten approximately 8/9 weeks old, poop keeps leaking from his bum without him knowing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the kitten had this leaking?
Customer: for two days now
JA: Does the kitten ever go outside? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: i keep washing his bum but as soon as I dry him it happens again
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: he is a inside door pet his name is*****: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Romeo?
Customer: thats pretty much it Actually his poop doesn’t look normal its quite thin
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello there
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My kitten is not well and I feel really bad for him
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.
Prior to this, was Romeo passing normal stool?
Is he active and eating and growing well?
Are his gums pink and wet?
Has he been dewormed?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He’s been dewormed recently, his stool is a bit thin sometimes he’s eating fine and very playful
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Im ok typing
Good, I'm glad he remains well.
When exactly was he dewormed and which product was used (this is important)?
What is he being fed?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He was dewormed 2 days ago, but poop leaking is happening before that. Also he is on kitten dry food
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He is on Royal Canin kitten food
Could you please tell me the name of the worming product? This is important as parasites are the most common cause of his symptoms and some deworming products aren't effective against all parasites.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Its called One Dose Wormer
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Im washing his bum everyday because I don’t want him to stay dirty but I don’t know what else to do
Thank you.This should contain both Praziquantal and Pyrantel.
There are certain parasites which this is not effective against (such as Giardia) so we may consider using Panacur going forward.The main concern would be dehydration and low blood sugar. His gums should remain pink and wet and he should continue to be active.I would feed a bland diet of chicken and rice for 48 hours (little and often) and start a 3 day course of probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as protexin prokolin. This can be purchased online or from a pet shop.However, if the diarrhoea doesn't resolve or Roneo becomes unwell, a vet visit is needed.
At this age, kittens can go downhill very quickly so we need to be cautious.If a vet visit is required, they will examine him and may well analyse the stool in case of an infection or parasites.
Please also be sure to keep the environment clean and continue to gently clean Romeo's bum.Ensure the environment is free of anything that may be irritating his stomach such as houseplants or cleaning products.Hopefully he is back to normal very shortly.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do you recommend booking an appointment with a vet so they can examine him closely would be better than me buying his medication online. What do you suggest?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ll book an appointment right away, so it doesn’t get serious and also get his first vaccination done too
If a vet visit is possible this would be best as he is so young and it sounds like the issue is severe.
It is likely the vet will provide the medicines suggested above and, certainly, a vet check is always wise.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much for helping out. This means a lot
Not at all.
Take care!
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
You have a wonderful rest of your day. This was very helpful, I have booked an appointment with a vet while talking to you here. I’m taking him to vet first thing in the morning
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks a lot stay safe
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 10 days ago.

Hi there, how is Romeo doing?