Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I took my dog to vet all bloods came back good. Hes really

I took my dog to vet all bloods came back good . Hes really gone off his food . So he's been having chicken or boiled fish . He has kept it down from breakfast .but has just sicked a small amount up . This seems to be happening once a day . Hes passing urine fine and not got diahorea.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Yes and quiet . The vet did suggest if he didn't improve to have xrays .
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No even when vet was checking him he seemed fine
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kenzi hes 13
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Border terrier

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help.

1. To clarify, Kenzi has a poor appetite, and when he does eat the boiled fish or chicken he seems to vomit some up several hours later, correct?

2. I understand his blood tests were within normal range. Which tests were done? Perhaps a complete blood count and a biochemistry profile?

3. Did they test him for pancreatitis with a test called a can spec PL (canine specific pancreatic lipase)?

4. Did they take any radiographs?

5. Is he passing normal stools?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
His bloods were for kidney and liver function .didnt test for pancreatic no radiograph normal stools .

Thanks, ***** ***** information is helpful.

I am typing a response now. If you cannot see it here in several minutes please check your email, including spam/junk folders, for an email with a link to my response.

In many cases a poor appetite and vomiting are triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes in older dogs include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), ketoacidotic diabetes, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction, an abdominal mass placing pressure on his gastrointestinal tract, or infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

In his case with normal bloodwork an infection, or organ failure are both very unlikely.

If he has not been tested specifically for pancreatitis I would do so.

At his age I would also be very concerned that he has a mass in his abdomen that is at least partially blocking passage of ingesta through his gastrointestinal tract making him feel full and nauseous. Sometimes we can see the mass on radiographs but because tumors are often soft tissue they blend in to the tissues around them and unless they are very large we may not see them on radiographs. Smaller, infiltrative type tumors may not be seen on radiographs, we may need an ultrasound to see those.

I recommend trying an over the counter acid reducing medication that people take for acid reflux to see if we can ease his nausea. You can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 15 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/2 of a 20mg tablet per 15 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

OR

3) Ranitidine (Zantac) at a dose of 1/2 of a 75mg tablet per 35 to 70 pounds of body weight every 8 hours

These are acid reducers and any of them could help him feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducer dose.

In a couple hours when you give him water or clear broth make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 8 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or white fish, or lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it soupy and more palatable. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food.

Hopefully he will be able to hold that down until he can be rechecked.

If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducer and bland diet, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian on an emergency basis for a recheck examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

It has been my pleasure to help you today. You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for Kenzi. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He seems a lot better today I got some of the tablets what was suggested and he actually was looking to eat today . He was a little sick last night but mainly fluid . So hopefully things are a
On the mend . Thank you so much for your advice .

Great, so glad to hear things are looking better for Kenzi, my best to your fellow. Please feel free to let me know if you need any further help.