Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I’ve found a bump at the back of my cats head, He is not

Customer Question

Hi, I’ve found a bump at the back of my cats head
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: He is not vomiting, I’ve just found a bunp at the back of his head
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: He hasn’t vomited. There is no vomit
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he’s 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Gucci?
Customer: No, just that I’ve noticed a bump at the back of his head
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

Hopefully I can help you today.

Does Gucci go outside or live with other cats?

Is the bump bothering him?

Would it be possible to send a clear photo of the bump please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We do have 2 other cats and he is an outdoor cat. The bump doesn’t seem to be bothering him, he’s still eating fine and when I touch the bump, he doesn’t shy away from my touch or seem to be in any pain. I just want to make sure it’s nothing to worry about. I’ve got a couple of photos, but the bump isn’t very clear to see. It’s at the back of his head under his left ear

I understand.

A new bump can have a few causes including:

• A cat bite abscess (bacterial infection)

• Insect bite or sting

• Cyst

• Fatty lump / lipoma

• Enlarged lymph node

• Seroma (accumulation of fluid after e.g. an injury)

• Etc

If he is acting normal and you have just noticed it, I would monitor for a few days as it may settle.

Watch closely for signs such as head shaking, scratching, reduced appetite or lethargy.

If the lump persists, he may require treatment. To determine what it is, we might consider putting a needle in it and seeing what we aspirate.

Fingers crossed it resolves shortly,

This window remains open for several days so please let me know if there is anything else,

Linda

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Great thank you, ***** ***** of the way he is acting right now, it’s nothing to worry about?

It is unlikely to be an emergency, correct. He does not need to see a vet tonight.

However, it may be e.g. an abscess, so if it persists or he becomes unwell, he would need to see the vet as he may need e.g. some antibiotics.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, this morning I found that he has itched it and it has been bleeding. now there’s an open wound. I’m going to take him to the vet. And how do I make sure it doesn’t get infected now?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Wash with saline and use a buster collar. The vet will likely start antibiotics right away.