Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My hamster has a very sore chin and what looks like an

My hamster has a very sore chin and what looks like an abcess growing in his pouch.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the hamster's chin start hurting?
Customer: 5 days ago
JA: When was the hamster last seen by a vet?
Customer: Never has been we adopted him from pets at home 2 weeks ago so maybe they saw him.
JA: What's the hamster's name?
Customer: Hammond
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: His hair has gone very thin he's also lost weight,this is within 2 weeks.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It also smells a bit.i can't get to a vets as I'm disabled and my friend is back in full time work now.i think he needs antibiotics.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I apologise for the delay; I have just come online now and hope to be able to help.Could you send a clear photo?
Is Hammond still eating as normal and active?

Without further information it is very difficult for me to provide the best advice but I shall certainly try.

Please reply when you can and we can continue the conversation.

The weight loss is a big red flag and likely indicates that whatever is going on is causing him to eat less. This can prove fatal if not treated promptly.

We would consider advanced dental disease, an infection or a tumour. He needs to see a vet ASAP so we can determine what is going on and start the most appropriate treatment.

At home, offer plenty of his favourite foods and try to ensure he is eating enough fibre and drinking water.

Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have,

Take care,

Linda.

Hello, this is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure you received my reply and did not have any further questions?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We have no vets near that will see him. He is eating his favourite foods still and drinking but sore is still growing and bump in pouch.i don't think there's much hope for him
Why won't the vets see him?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Due to lockdown they will see dogs cats but not little furries
This is not something I have experienced and am aware of countless small furries who have been seeing vets recently.
I would go ahead and call more local vets as most are back to pre lockdown consults.
It may also be worth consulting with a specialist (this may be in a university hospital, depending on where in the country you are).
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience: MVB MRCVS
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK,thank you

This is just Dr Linda checking in.

I hope you were happy with my reply and please let me know if I can be of any further help.

All the best to you and your pet!

Stay safe,

Linda