Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

I have a goldfish with a wound/sore on his mouth, The

Customer Question

I have a goldfish with a wound/sore on his mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the goldfish hurt his mouth? Is there any bleeding or swelling?
Customer: The problem has been going on for about 2 months. I treated with esha 2000 and it seemed to get better but has got worse over the past 2 days. Visible swelling and redness
JA: And what's the goldfish's name and age?
Customer: Columbus and he is about 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He is generally a healthy fish, spawned with the female 9n Wednesday l, eating and swimming fine but a bit lethargic
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm ok to wait, thank you
Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 10 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Alina-Moderator
Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

How many days have you tried the Esha 2000 for? And what dosage?

Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

Is there any chance you can send me a quick picture of this?

https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have been treating with esha for 4 days, following the guidance for 350litres as per the instructions
Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

Thank you. And have you changed anything in the environment? (recent food change? tank cleaned?)

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Nothing has changed, usual water change routine and food
Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

Perfect. And is he the only one who's developed this? Has it grown much in the past 2 weeks? Or does it go up and down when introducing Esha?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He is the only one who has a wound. i think he must have banged himself as they are pretty brutal when they spawn. it got better, as stated previously, but has got worse again.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
it swelled a lot between thursday and friday which is why i started treating again with esha
Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

I understand. I believe we need to give it more time. I agree with the second course of Esha and I think if still looking like this at the end of the course, we should culture the ulcer. It's very unlikely it's viral (as others would have it as well), but I do suspect it's more of a complicated wound (probable some opportunistic bacterias took over).

Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

When did you start the second course?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
on Friday
Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

Perfect. Please monitor in the following days (24-48h) and if still no improvement, my next step would be a swab for Culture and Sensitivity. Your vet needs to be confident in handling Goldfish for that. There are stronger things that we can dispense, but I'd be reluctant without a proper microbiologist report of what's growing there.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
one of the reasons i used this service is the difficulty in finding a vet who can manage/handle/support with fish. do you have any recommendations?
Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.
further investigations. We need to establish what’s causing this. Unfortunately, that can be done only by handling the fish. Where about are you located? (postcode)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
RG248TX
Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

The closest one to you is in Swindon - Great Western Exotics

https://www.gwexotics.com/

Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.

They do accept self-referrals so you could just give them a call. Make sure you enquire about the costs, as they are Specialists

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK, great, thank you. I don't really mind how much it costs as lonf as I can help him
Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.
they are amazing vets! I have previously referred other fish there for investigation and surgeries - lovely people! Just give them a call and arrange a visit; possibly they’d want to do a video consult initially? Not sure what their COVID protocol is but they are very knowledgeable and I do trust Columbus is in good hands there
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK, great, thank you
Expert:  Teodora B replied 10 days ago.
You’re more than welcome. Thank you for choosing Just Answer.Kind regards,
Teodora B.
MRCVS