Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My hamster has bleeding from the nose, comes in fits and

Customer Question

My hamster has bleeding from the nose
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the hamster bleeding? When did this start?
Customer: comes in fits and starts, took it to vet earlier after he got startled while biting his bars
JA: And what's the hamster's name and age?
Customer: pumpkin 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: he is licking his lips, seems uncomfortable & making strange snuffling sounds
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 10 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Pumpkin has this issue.

Did you take him to the vet today for this bleeding? Did the vet examine his mouth and nose?

Has he started any medicine?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Dr Simmon, thanks for taking my request!I took him to the emergency vet earlier, she checked him over, cleaned him up & monitored him for about 20 mins or so. She said his breathing was okay and that she thinks he had broken his top tooth.He perked up & was acting normal, she had given him a dose of painkiller and gave me a little vial of it to administer to him twice a day. I was told to keep an eye on him
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The medicine is loxicom oral

Certainly, a broken tooth could cause bleeding from the nose.

The Lexicon will help with any pain or inflammation.

I would ensure he is able to eat and drink, is passing normal stool and is active.

An injury like a broken tooth can take a few days to heal and he may have knocked the tooth again with his tongue or on his cage.

Also, sometimes when their heart rate goes up when they are running about, this can cause bleeding to start up again.

If possible, try to convince him to rest up; easier said than done. Have in a quiet and dark room.

The bleeding should stop soon but, if it doesn't, it is best he sees the vet again.

We would need to consider an infection or growth if the bleeding continues.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks so much for your help.I’m watching him like a hawk but I get worried every time he curls up to go to sleep as he is making the “sneeze”/snuffle noise for a couple of minutes at a time & he looks like he is trying to clean the blood/stop the irritation. Do I need to be concerned about his airways getting blocked up while he’s sleeping? What signs/symptoms am I looking out for to be worried about please?Thank you so much!

I understand and agree it is sensible to keep a close eye.

He likely has some dried blood in his nose which will mean he is snuffly and may sneeze.

It would be highly unusual for this too affect breathing as he should be alert enough to cough / swallow any blood. Also, we would expect the bleeding to slow and stop shortly.

Worrying signs would include laboured breathing, continued bleeding or lethargy.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Could you elaborate on laboured breathing please? I’m not entirely sure what’s meant by that. When he is sleeping he sometimes appears to be taking deeper and more frequent breaths? Thank you x

Laboured would mean that it is a struggle for him and he is finding it hard to get enough oxygen.

We may see very fast breathing, or breathing that is much noisier than usual.

We might expect his breathing to be a little fast due to the stress and discomfort, and there could be some noise coming from the nose region due to the dried blood.

However, if the breathing is very fast or noisy or you feel it is more irregular than it should be, this would be a concern and it would be best to have him checked over in case he may need e.g. oxygen.

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 8 days ago.

Hello, this is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure you received my reply and did not have any further questions?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Dr, thank you for your answers, he has been active for the last couple of days, my only concern is he is still making the “hiccup/sneezing” noises when he tries to settle and sleep - he will sometimes wake up making these noises. He also appears to have wet/Sticky eyes which we have been attempting to clean with a damp bit of tissue (he doesn’t like his face being touched) so I’m sure the vets will pick this up.He isn’t eating solids (I assume due to his tooth) but he is eating wet oats & mashed banana I’m feeding him by hand.Another concern of mine is that he doesn’t appear to be drinking water, but he is happy to pouch dry food and take it back to his bed. On the bright side, it appears his nose is starting to scab and has stopped bleeding, but it looks a little swollen on one side, again I’m assuming due to the nature of his injury?To be completely sure, I have booked him in for a vets appt tomorrow morning and I will be sure to raise these points there & he can be looked at :)Is there anything here that sounds concerning to you or anything else I should be looking out for in his behaviour with this new information?Thank you for checking up & for all your help so far
Thank you for this additional information.
I do think a vet check is the best thing to do as we would want to rule out the possibility that there may be more going on here.
He might require some antibiotic eye drops if those eyes are infected.I would want to check there isn't an ongoing tooth issue causing some residual pain.Hopefully we get some answers tomorrow.In the mean time, you are doing all of the right things!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Forgive me for sounding silly and being overly worried but when you say “may be more going on” do you mean the eye infection? Or maybe something more sinister? He’s only young and I’m extremely worried about losing him he is my little world!Thank you, I’ll be sure to raise all my worries to the vet! I’m glad you say I am doing the right things :)
I just mean that we want to ensure we aren't missing anything like a broken tooth root, root infection, eye infection, foreign body etc.Something more sinister such as a cancer is possible but less likely as he is still relatively young.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for clarifying x
Absolutely. Have a lovely evening.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you and you, grateful for your help x
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 6 days ago.

This is just Dr Linda checking in.

I hope you were happy with my reply and please let me know if I can be of any further help.

All the best to you and your pet!

Stay safe,

Linda

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hiya, we took him to the vet on Tuesday and he was put under to have his teeth (incisors and molars) clipped and they said he would be more comfortable after this. They also tried to remove the top incisor but said his breathing slowed so they stopped and sent him home with us and told us to monitor him.Since then he has been eating well, taking his medicine (loxicom 1ml) twice a day - he is somewhat active but his left eye still looks like its crusty & he is cleaning/itching his left eye. He has drank only a few times but thinking this is due to him having water mixed in with his oats and banana.My main concern is that he isn’t as active as he normally is, he doesn’t seem quite himself - from what we’ve seen he only has a small run on his wheel and a little explore around his cage but he just wants to sit in his bed most of the time and be nestled in. Is he still recovering or do we need to be concerned? We called the vet yesterday and told the receptionist all this, we’re just still waiting for a call back from the vet himself.Thank you for reading all of this :)
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for this update.
I'm glad he is doing better and has received treatment but I'm sorry to hear he is not quite right.
Typically, an anaesthetic and procedure like this can take 48 hours or so to fully recover from. So, it does seem like this is taking longer than would be expected.
I would wonder if there is something more going on, such as an eye infection for which he needs more treatment (like some antibiotic drops).
It's great you've made your vet aware and they may well ask to see him back soon.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for your response :)I did raise my worries about his eyes before and they said it could be related to the tooth, but strangely it seems to be flip flopping between each eye, some days his left is worse than his right and vice versa - I’ll be sure to bring it up again though, thank you.Would there be any other reason apart from feeling unwell that he may want to stay in his nest more frequently?
It could be the stress of recent events, especially if he isn't keen on being handled.
Similarly, if giving the medicine is a struggle or anything has changed (perhaps different food), this may be making him feel a bit insecure.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense especially as this past week we have been checking on him so much more and lifting the roof off his bed to make sure he’s okay/breathing - I don’t doubt he’s feeling irritated & more so having sleep disrupted!Additionally as much as he loves oats and bananas it’s a big change from purely having dry food (I removed it as he was hurting his mouth trying to pouch/crunch i). I’ll try reintroducing dry to see if he responds well.Thank you!
Not at all. He's lucky to have such a caring owner!
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That’s so kind of you to say, thank you :)
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Please could you look over a couple of pix to see if this is indicative of an eye infection?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I’m sorry the photos are not as clear as can be - he’s a wriggly boy!
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
His right eye looks like it’s “bulging” a little more than his left.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Sorry, I meant his left eye looks like it’s bulging more than right.
Unfortunately it's impossible to say for sure but this could be an eye infection. Signs can include discharge, redness and squinting.
However, other possibilities include e.g. an allergy to something in his environment (like dust or hay), a reaction to the dental disease etc.
The vet may well trial some antibiotic eye drops to see if these helps.Bulging would be a concern so the vet would need to examine the area in case of e.g. pus behind the eye.He's so lovely!
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay, thank you for letting me know all those possibilities!Thank you very much - I may be biased but I completely agree! Here is a pic of him from a little while ago. He loves building a cosy nest as you can see.Thank you again for all your help this evening - fingers crossed his vet will have some clearer answers for us in a couple of days. Please could I still message you if I notice any drastic changes?

Absolutely, this window will remain open.

He is just so handsome!

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hi again, pumpkin has just gone for a wee and it’s a different colour/consistency than usual. Is this a concern? Thank you
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 2 days ago.
Hamsters urine can be milky white or yellow and it does depend on e.g. diet and if they're on any medicine.
A urine analysis is sensible if the change persists or there are any other symptoms.