Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is having really bad symptoms with a false pregnancy,

Hi My dog is having really bad symptoms with a false pregnancy
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: My dog is a 7 Year old SBT...everytime she goes into season she has a false pregancy about 5 or 6 weeks later. This time she is really bad and is constantly shivering/shaking, crying, she hasn't eaten since Thursday. She is pacing around extremely unsettled howling at night and the past 3 days her nesting has saw her total destroy her bed, one of my sofa and my arm chair to the point beyond repair. She has been growling and barking at other dogs on our walks too more aggressive than her normal
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Yes but probably because of the false pregnancy
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: no
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Sparky
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Everything that I have already given seems to be quite a full detailed description?
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I would be concerned given her shivering (which can indicate a fever) and lack of appetite that she may actually have a pyometra (uterus infection). This can be life threatening if left untreated. The older an unspayed female is, the higher her risk. She needs to be checked for this condition and, if present, needs immediate treatment.If she does not have a pyometra, there is a medical called Galastop that can be given to stop the false pregnancy.As it has been so long without eating she may also benefit from e.g. iv fluids and an anti nausea injection.The sooner she is seen the better and hopefully she is on the mend very shortly.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Take care,Linda S.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so mush I have left a message at my own vet and had her with me the whole night they should call me back at some point today hopefully they can check her in person today. Thank you you have been so helpful.
Not at all and please feel free to keep me updated.
Stay safe!