Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Have a female house rabbit and she has a sore on her dewlap

Hi have a female house rabbit and she has a sore on her dewlap right under her chin
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the sore? Has the rabbit been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: I noticed it last night and she is licking it a lot
JA: What's the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Bella and she is 18months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no she is in good health normally

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Bella, if she has a sore, we want to start some topical care. To do so, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and if you notice she is getting it wet through the day (eg after eating or drinking), then cleaning can be after these sessions. Also while tempting do not apply an antibiotic creams. Rabbits are notorious for licking these off and causing themselves serious diarrhea. So, if it is not healing after cleaning it to avoid infection, then we'd want her local vet to see her for systemic antibiotics if needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. How much salt water ratio should I use and shall I use cotton wool to wipe the area? She is licking it a lot and I’m worried she is making it even more sore. My vets are closed with it being bank holiday. Do you have any idea why she is doing this or how she got the sore? She drinks from a bottle so she doesn’t get it wet

You are very welcome,

Usually we use 1 tablespoon salt to a pint water. And cotton wool is grand. It is a tricky area of course to keep them away from (cannot really bandage it and using an ecollar could lead to it just sitting moist against that). So, see how you go but she may need antibiotics once her vet is opne. And in regards ***** ***** she is doing it, they lick what is irritated and it could be its originally from a bit of trauma, insect bite or even a wee bacterial infection. Much the same as us getting wee sores from time to time.

All the best,

Dr. B.