Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have been at the beach today playing ball and our

We have been at the beach today playing ball and our littlest dog has vomited several times while there and twice since we got home. It's just liquid but he isn't wanting food
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: He is worn out from playing but seems OK otherwise.
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No he keeps hiding under furniture but otherwise seems himself. The last 2 vomits were quite explosive though
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 17 months old shorkie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Baxter?
Customer: No
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.Any chance he has consumed sea water (e.g. if playing fetch while swimming) or sand?Are his gums pink and wet?Any other signs such as panting, restlessness or abdominal bloating?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He didn't go in the sea but drank lots of fresh water while playing. He was panting in the car but not at home. Every time he grabbed the ball he definitely got sand in his mouth. His gums are normal
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can't ring sorry
I am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
please, continue typing
Ok, thank you.
There would be a concern for a sand impaction; sand can get stuck in the stomach or guts and cause an obstruction.This website has some good information: https://www.vets-now.com/2019/03/dog-eating-sand/#:~:text=Signs%20of%20intestinal%20sand%20impaction,and%20one%20did%20not%20surviveGiven that he is vomiting a lot and may be lethargic, I do think a vet visit is best.They will examine him and determine if he may require therapy.They also have the opportunity to give an anti nausea injection if needed to prevent further fluid loss which may lead to dehydration and salt imbalance.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
OK thank you. We will get on it
Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have. Fingers crossed all goes well.