Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 8 week old dog has blood in its stool, 1 hour ago, dont

My 8 week old dog has blood in its stool
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you notice this blood? Does the dog seem more or less thirsty than normal?
Customer: 1 hour ago, dont know if hes less thirsty
JA: Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: His diet may have changed today as we adopted him today
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Kichi
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Wr adopted him today, the breeder had not vaccinated him yet

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Kichi has this issue and appreciate your concern.

Blood in the stool of a puppy is not uncommon.

Is Kichi still active and happy to eat?

Are his gums pink and wet?

When did the breeder deworm him and which product was used?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi, thank you so much for responding!! Kichi is happy and eats, he spends time playing a lot, then sleeps for a while, then wakes up and plays again.
The breeder says they have dewormed and deflead him with Frontline every 2 weeks. His gums are pink and wet.

Thank you for this information.

His play/sleep/play routine sounds like a perfectly normal puppy which is reassuring.

To clarify, Frontline only treats fleas and ticks but not worms and other internal parasites. Is it possible he has not been dewormed? I ask as blood in the stool is most often caused by parasites at this age.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I assume it is possible, the breeder said they dewormed him, I have messaged them to ask for more details but they haven't responded. Just wanted to add as well, his first two stools were fine, this was his third stool and had 2 drops of diluted red slimy substance rather than pure blood.

I am just typing my full reply now which will take a few minutes.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help with this, Im very grateful!

As I say, a small amount of blood in the stool is not uncommon and can have a number of causes including:

• Stress (from moving home and being in a car)

• An abrupt diet change

• Parasites (such as worms or Giardia)

• An infection

• Toxin ingestion

• Etc

The most important thing is that Kichi remains well. He should be gaining weight, happy to eat and energetic. His gums should remain pink and moist at all times.

If the breeder does not respond and there is concern he has not. been wormed, I would go ahead and give him a course of Panacur anti parasite therapy.

I would also start him on a course of probiotics such as Protexin Prokolin which can be purchased online or from a pet shop without prescription. Usually 3 days is all that is needed.

I would give a day or two of small meals of just boiled chicken and rice rather than dog food. This rests the gut. Then, gradually transition over to the puppy food of your choice. At the same time, avoid any treats or chews which may cause stomach upset.

Fingers crossed his stool goes back to normal very shortly and he remains well.

If anything changes or you have any further questions, please just let me know.

Take care and enjoy your new pup!

Linda.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you so much for all of your help, I am very grateful! I will follow your advice, hopefully he is well and Im just a panicked new dog mum. Thank you so much, I hope you have a lovely evening!

Very happy to help :)