Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat cut has cut his leg. He was limping but is not

Hi. My cat cut has cut his leg. He was limping but is not anymore although the wound doesn't appear to be healing. He does not seem on distress other than keeping on licking it. Should I do something or just leave it to heal naturally?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did the cat hurt his leg? Is there any bleeding or swelling?
Customer: It was about a week ago. No no swelling or foul smells coming from the leg.
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Lochy and he's 10
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (GZ1L517)
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
File attached (V41VGL2)
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
The 2nd picture looks much more healed than the first: is this the more recent one?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.

Strangely the second picture was taken last night and the first picture was this morning.

In that case, he has likely licked it a lot over night.
I am just typing my full reply now
When a cat licks a wound, they are delaying the tissue healing and potentially introducing infection from their mouths.This is why it is so important they DO NOT lick or chew at all. This can be achieved by using a buster collar 24/7 until healed. Cats must stay indoors when wearing a buster collar.I would clean the lesion twice daily with cotton wool and salt water.Monitor for signs of infection such as a return of the lameness, any swelling or discharge. If this occurs, a vet visit will be needed for antibiotics.The lesion appears shallow so should Bhal quickly once left alone.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Linda.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.