Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My three year ol mixed breed small dog has developed a

My three year ol mixed breed small dog has developed a cough, a little like whooping cough, he coughs then vomits a little flegm, about three teasponns worht. This has been going on since yesterday afternoon. He seems well apart from the coughing fits which were more frequent yesterday but are now about every two hour
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. Usual dinner of dog food at 6 pm the evening before and he hadn't been out for a long walk in the woods when it started so he coulnt have picked something up in the bushes
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ragnar the Viking !
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He hasn't had his shots this year. I moved to this area just as lockdown started so don't have a local vet yet
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.Is he up to date with his lungworm prevention?Is his breathing settled and clear?Are his gums pink and wet?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
His gums are pink and wet, he is acting normally apart from coughing fits. As I said in my initial contact, he hasn't had any shots this year. If that includes lung worm then he is not up to date
Thank you for this additional information, I am just typing my full reply now
Lungworm is prevented with parasite prevention not vaccines, so this would typically be a spot on such as Advocate or a tablet such as Milbemax.A cough in a young and otherwise healthy dog can have several causes including a viral respiratory infection (such as Kennel cough), a bacterial infection, bronchitis, tracheal collapse, lungworm etc.If he remains otherwise well and there is no thick green discharge or evidence of e.g. a fever or lack of appetite, we should be able to monitor at home. Ensure his gums remain pink and his breathing is settled. It should be 30 breaths a minute or less when resting.I would advise asking your vet to prescribe lungworm prevention if overdue.Ensure the air at home is well ventilated and free of dust and smoke.Use a body harness rather than neck collar when walking him.You can offer a teaspoon of honey every 8 hours.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Linda