Teodora B
Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Expert
110306982

I am currently hand feeding a baby pigeon as it was badly

Hi. I am currently hand feeding a baby pigeon as it was badly attacked in the loft (scalped). He is around 2-2.5 weeks old I think. For the last two days I have been feeding him an emergency mix of oats with some soaked seeds. He has been feeding fine and his crop has been emptying properly. He has also grown a bit and seems lively and content. He was fine for his feed this morning but when I checked him at lunch time he was not standing up or walking on his legs. They are not stiff or in an awkward position but he is unable to stand up. He can still flap his wings and is still very much alert but I am not sure what has happened as it has come on very suddenly. I have picked him up some proper hand rearing food today (Orlux Handmix) so he will have this on his next feed. I read online it could be a calcium deficiency but I am not sure. Can you offer any advice?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I think thats everything. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’m willing to wait another day. Thank you!

Hello! My name is***** will be the expert to assist you today with your vet-related questions.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Teodora
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Did you get a chance to read over my initial message

Is there any chance you can send me a picture of his injuries?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
two seconds
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (6ST22S2)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Let me know if they come through okay. He was scalped quite badly but his wound has dried up a lot. Hard to see in the picture but his feet can grip my fingers slightly and are sitting in a normal position but he can't seem to stand up (he was standing up fine up until yesterday afternoon)

Perfect, thank you. I am still waiting for them to load.

Do we know what kind of animal attacked him? Does he have any chest injuries?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It must have been another pigeon as he was in a secure shed outside in his nest. No chest injuries, he has been feeding fine too
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
he is very lively and alert too

I have examined the pictures and I fear we might have a brain/internal ear issue. The wound must have looked awfull initially if now it's looking like this.

Any discharge/pus coming out?

Or abnormal smell?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will send a picture of the wound when I first brought him in a few days ago. There is no pus or abnormal smell, the wound seems to be scabbing. The yellow substance on his face/above eyes is dried formula from when he last ate
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (3GG51Q4)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don't know if this will load but this was him eating just yesterday morning

Received, thank you.

Did he deteriorate all of a sudden?

Or was it more like a gradual thing?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It happened within the day yesterday as that video was taken in the morning then when i checked on him in the afternoon, he would not stand up

The problem with that affected area is that all the bony structures are paper-thin at this age. So, just like human babies, once they suffer an injury it takes a long time for them to recover and some even remain with life-long sequelae.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But apart from his legs, he does not seem worse in any other way. Still as vocal and lively. I should note that for the first three days I was feeding him an emergency mix of oats and soaked seeds. Proper formula arrived yesterday that is why I thought it might a calcium deficiency

I see. I believe we can still give him a chance, to be honest. As long as there's no torticollis and he is still eating and drinking well, only time can.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it is a waiting game to see if his legs recover? Is there anything else I could be doing?

Normally Calcium Deficiency goes with mastication issues as well (since it affects all muscles); they fall into lateral recumbencu and look very stiff; don't feed properly anymore. Plus they start showing skin signs and from pictures, I can;t see any hypocalcemia signs.

Ideally he'd get checked as a hands-on examination by one of my collegues at your local vet practice. After a full clinical head examination, we could decide if other treatment is needed (such as pain-relief, anti-inflammatories or antibiotics)

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay I see. He has grown a bit and feathers are still coming in quite quicklly
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
okay, I did consider the vet but the one I take my dog to does not have experience with birds

Good - this is a sign that he is geting proper nutrition.

I see. I am sure he/she can recommend an exotics vet from around your area. I agree, it needs to be someone who's confident in examining birds.

For now, I can only say that if we are dealing with postinjury oedema (ear canal/brain), I'd expect it to get worse and worse. If he is just having a post-traumatic inflammatory response, then we will see some improvements.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay thank you so much for your help
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will give the vet a phone and see what they say

You are more than welcome. Please feel free to ask anymore questions you might have.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Oh I was going to ask if I should put anything on the wound?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Savlon or antisceptic? I cleaned it with a saline solution when I first brought him in

No, I wouldn't recommend in that area. If you want to keep it clean, some saline solution twice a day would do the job (but make sure you dry it well).

It heals better if aired and I wouldn't intervene at this point with any topical antibiotics.

Teodora B, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: Expert
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
okay thats fine
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** give my local vet a phone. I hope he has a chance

Perfect, sounds like a good plan. Sometimes farm vets are happy to have a look at pigeons ((since they examine loads of ducks and chicken).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Okay perfect thats helpful to know

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. Feel free to come back with updates in the following days.

Kind regards,

Teopdora B.

MRCVS